1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Color of bars in battery capacity display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tom Z., Jul 13, 2004.

1. Tom Z.

Tom Z. New Member

I've noticed that the bars indicating battery capacity in the Energy Monitor screen will sometimes change color while driving. They seem to start out as being blue, will sometimes change to green, and then back to blue.

Does anyone know what this is telling me?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The colors change with how well your battery is charged. Blue is normal range. Green is high charge or.. full, and purple is low. You have 10? bars on the battery screen? 1 and 2 are red.. but only when you have two bars or less showing... if there are between 3 and 7 bars, they will be blue.. and if you have any more than that, they will turn green. The more green you are, the better :mrgreen: You're conserving energy well if you have green. All you need to do now, is learn to keep it just below green. If you drain your battery, you're driving rough ( or mountain driving) if you're green, you're conserving but possibly waiting because all you're doing is collecting.. and if you are blue, you're a normal driver. I try to keep my at 1 or 2 bars above half mark. This gives me the idea i'm conserving a good amount of electricity and utilizing a decent amount.

Best advice i can give is to learn the "no arrows" trick. I've been able to accelerate from a stop light quickly.. then go to no arrows for the rest of the way.... when a couple hundred feet from the next light.. i let go and let the generator slow me down.. then, use regenerative breaking. Testing this technique out, i've been able to achieve 75mpg today. But at times i get that lead foot and punch it.. which kills my battery and my good efforts :mrgreen:

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Color makes the charge-level easier to see when driving... since counting bars isn't always practical.

4. Tom Z.

Tom Z. New Member

Thank you, V8. That, of course, is information not contained in the owner's manual. I've had my car a little more than 2 weeks now, and I'm learning the "no arrows" technique after becoming aware of it through Prius Chat. Your suggestion of starting out fast from stop lights, and "no arrowing" it to the next one is something I'll try out next. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

Also, don't forget they built in "give" in this display - meaning if you ever see the battery fully charged (yes, that top green bar can be filled in rare occasions) or fully drained, fear not! From word around these parts, it's somewhere around 25-30% either way - so if the display for the battery is completely 'empty' and the engine still doesn't kick in (pretty rare as well), no need to get worried.

-m.

6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Another alternative for driving with no arrows is shifting into neutral. I do this frequently when going downhill if D is slowing the car or keeping it from gaining additional speed. When the car's going fast enough I shift into D to slow it down. Someone's going to respond with a number of objections to using N, but give it a try, it won't hurt the car.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it won't hurt the prius. But, on standard cars, it will hurt the transmission once you put in into gear. I would recommend against it just because when you do put it back in gear, everything has to spin back up to speed. This may cause unwanted stress. Plus, in California, it's illegal to shift into neutral. It slows down your breaking time making you a potential hazard. However, i have done his also... untill i learned the "no arrows" pressure point well. Maybe someone can look into what potential stress you are putting on the drivetrain when shifting from neutral to drive again while driving.

8. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    As the "gears" are not of the normal type, i.e. they dont mess and un-mess, I doubt going into N would hurt, but, in an emmergency, you wont have any power to pull away, which means you are not in full control of the car and there could be problems if you have an accident.

I also have in mind, but I guess I am wong here :wink: that when you are in N, the generators wont charge the HV battery..

Better to stay in D.

9. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

It is true than in N the generators won't charge the battery, but you have to be in N for a very long time to discharge the battery. I also shift into N occasionally when stopping at unusually long red lights.

10. rflagg

rflagg Member

Those long lights are where I love that P(ark) button. Usually, as murphy's law will tell you, once you hit Park, the light changes green probably 2-3 times faster than if you'd otherwise sit with your foot on the brake. :)

-m.

11. ceemom

ceemom New Member

Going up and down hills on an empty road I am tempted to use Neutral.

I am sure there is some waste charging the battery on the downhills and then using it for a boost on the uphills. As long as there isn't a stop sign at the bottom and there are no other cars or driveways. It seems like neutral is okay.

12. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I don't use neutral that often, but when I do nothing happens different than when the car itself decides to coast with no bars on; to me, that's the car itself shifting into neutral.

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem with N is that the battery is discharging due to running the 12v converter for electronics, HV cooling system, A/C, etc. Leaving it in N for an extended time will drain the battery siginiciantly. I would be concerned that doing this a large number of times could in theory shorten battery life (then again, EV button usage could do the same).

When stopped - I make sure my pedal pressure is hard enough to cut out the motor. When driving, I either allow regen to occur or find the feathered sweet spot. Just doesn't seem safe, and requires extra "shifting" for me. I may be lazy, but I prefer to let the car do the work it's supposed to do in this case.