1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Combination Meter Failure and Loss of Brakes/Power Steering

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pria2005, Mar 11, 2015.

?
  1. yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I have experienced other issues with the failure of the combination meter.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pria2005

Pria2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have seen multiple forums about faulty combination meters on the Toyota Prius. For those that have experienced these issues, has anyone experienced a loss of braking and powersteering on the vehicle? This has happened to me 4 of the 100+ times my dash lights were not working. On those 4 occasions I was driving without the dash lights and all of the warning lights came on and the car lost power steering and the ABS braking and I had to use the emergency brake to stop. Fortunately when this has happened I have not been on the highway and there was no snow or it could have been very dangerous. This issue has only happened when there is a malfunction with the combination meter. I understand this can create many issues within the vehicle including braking difficulties. The response of the Manager at my local Toyota shop said "well, at least you have brakes, you just won't have them in an emergency stop." Wow! I've read accounts of people going 65 mph and losing brakes when this has happened which could be very deadly. I'm surprised at Toyota's response with this possibly deadly issue. I'm also surprised that the Combination Meter Failure has not be recalled because based off what I have read about 3% of Prius owners have experienced issues with this and the braking system. At what point does a "warranty" become a "recall"? Please note that this issue is separate from the "accelerator recall".

If you have had issues with any of the above problems, I would be interested to hear more.
    Thank you

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I don't have a Gen 2 and I've had no similar experiences in my Gen 1, but something you say here has me curious:

Your car's braking system has four different levels of function:

1. Everything: power assisted braking with ABS preventing wheel lock
    2. ABS out; brakes are still power assisted at all four wheels, but in a panic stop where wheels might skid, you have to pump/threshold-brake yourself because the ABS won't kick in. The power assist comes from a pressure-charged cylinder good for 30 or 40 stops even if the pump power is lost.
    3. ABS and power assist out; the failsafe, redundant hydraulic circuit only brakes the front wheels (on my Gen 1 anyway, I think that's the same for Gen 2) and stopping distances will be longer, but for this to fail would really require a substantial hydraulic leak or mechanical problem (or lack of brake fluid, again suggesting a leak)
    4. No hydraulic braking at all, forced to use the rear-wheel cable brake (the parking-brake pedal near the side kick panel).
    Are you really saying that 4 times when your instrument lights went out, it kicked you straight from 1 to 4? Seems very strange.

-Chap

valde3 likes this.
  3. Pria2005

Pria2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Chap, thanks for the reply. Good question, I suppose each time it has been more of a "panic stop" in fact - that's what the Manager at Toyota referred to it as too. I still had some control over the wheel, but lost power steering. I did not notice the wheels skidding and I did not pump the brakes. I did still have some braking power with the brake all the way to the floor mat and, yes the stopping distance was longer so instead I reactively resorted to the E-Brake out of fear of not being able to stop. 3 of the 4 times this has happened I was only going 8-20 mph. The other time I was going apx. 65 mph and had enough time to slow the car down to get off the side of the road.