1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coming up on 300,000 miles starting to get some engine noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ktthomas, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ktthomas

ktthomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,

My prius is getting real close to hitting 300,000 and I sure would like to get there !! I'm starting to get some engine chatter, sounds like a lifter, when accelerating slowly. If I step on the gas it intensifies and then disappears.
    I am using a bit of oil now too. about 1 quart every 1800 miles. One thing I have noticed is that when I get an oil change I don't hear it until I have driven about 2000 miles or added some oil. The longer I drive on an oil change the more I notice it until I get an oil change again (every 5000). I'm toping off with Pennzoil but that is not what the mechanic uses. I don't know if that matters or not.
    I have never used high mileage oil, synthetic or anything other than basic oil. Mainly because the guy who owned it before me never did so I just kept doing what had worked for him for so long.
    Now I am wondering if I should try a different oil of if there is anything else you would recommend I try.

Thanks

amos likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Change your oil every 2500k miles

3. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is the way my car has been for the last 90K miles. No issues. I am closing on 225K now. You will surpass 300K. Mine burns a quart every 1300-1500 miles now. Just fill her up in between oil changes. I use the $10 walmart oil. No problems. It's going to burn it anyways so don't use expensive oil. Like you said that lifter noise appears when the oil gets dirty and I guess thins out in viscosity. So shorten your oil changes to 3K or so. Also I used Mobil 1 once to see if it helps, I think it did but it could also be just in my head.

amos likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why not use 10W-30 oil, at least during warm weather.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I too seem to consume a good amout of oil between oil changes. I use synthetic and recommend it to anyone who will listen. It's greener for sure and I believe it's just a better product. I use Amsoil which is supposed to be the best out there. I buy it from a dealer who also works on my car. He recommends 10W40 and that's what I use. I also bought a big 5 quart jug of Mobil1 10W40 synthetic at Wal-Mart for like $22. With the synthetic I use a 10,000 mi change interval but I do agree with everyone about increasing the frequency especially if you use conventional oil. I have 251,000 mi on my Prius and I really think the synthetic oil helps

6. chelvis

chelvis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am original owner '05, just turned 275,000 miles and have been running synthetic since 100k miles. I burn a bit of oil and have same lifter noise.

I change oil every 5k, run 5W30 and am aiming to keep it rolling past 300k. If needed I was going to pick up a used engine.