1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comments on Trade-in & Price of New

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by AlanInAustin, Apr 23, 2008.

1. AlanInAustin

AlanInAustin Junior Member

We have a 2004 Prius with 38,000 miles which we are considering trading in for a newer one. The '04 is pretty basic - cloth seats, AM/FM/CD - with nothing really to distinguish or customize it. I did, though, add body side molding and mudguards purchased through here. The dealer is offering $15K for it as a trade-in.

The newer vehicle is a Pkg 3 and includes the convenience pkg, LiquiGel leather seats, and sealant pkg. Per salesdrone, MSRP is $28.5K and with a $600 rebate that'd be $27.9K. Minus our trade-in and the difference comes out to be $12.9K. Add in TTL and everything else, it comes to $13.9K.

Comments on the deal and price would be appreciated.

2. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    have you checked KBB values for your trade-in?, if not in a rush you can always sell it "private party", then turn around and buy your new one

if you dont really care of the trade value (or not a priority) i would usually just trade-in, its less hassle and headache, old car gone, new car here...same day
    :)

3. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not clear if the "newer" one is new or used?

If it's used then it's easier to get similar fair market values on both cars and perhaps drive a harder bargain.

If it's new then you've got the apple and orange issue to deal with, negotiating is more difficult because there is a lot of behind the scenes money involved with new cars.

In establishing the value of your trade, I'd use kbb, NADA and edmunds.com to appraise it and take the average. You may need to toss one out if it's way off. One thing I've found is the subjective measure of the vehicles condition is almost always one notch apart on a trade: if I think my trade is "outstanding", the dealer thinks it's "clean", and so forth. I also like to pretend I'm out to buy my trade on eBay, craigslist, AutoTrader and such. Having an idea of the buy/sell spread is a useful negotiating tool. As is knowing how easy it is to find my trade: if it's in demand and harder to find that's good, if they are a dime/dozen, oh well.

One more thing, I like to negotiate a deal very late in the day, preferably 45 minutes before closing time, and I make it clear I'm happy to come back in the morning if we can't come to agreement tonight (a buyer leaving without a deal is their worst nightmare) . This works especially well with dealer staff that have lots of pictures on their desks showing all the family, pets and activities they can't wait to get to after work :D

4. AlanInAustin

AlanInAustin Junior Member

My apologies -- I forgot to mention that the "newer" car would be right off the lot brand new. 2008.

Alan

5. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is it just me or does 28,500 MSRP for a package 3 not sound right? I bought my package 6 touring for less, and the MSRP for that was 28,254. I know that you are getting leather which adds about 1,100 bucks to the number, but do you know what the sealant package is/cost and the convenience package is/cost. I priced a package 3 in your area and got an MSRP of 25,295.

6. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Forgot to ask, is the new car you are looking at a Touring model?

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    15K is about what most dealers would want to offer, and still look to make money. The art of negotiation goes a long way.

On the other hand if I had a nice 04 with 38k miles, giving $14000 for a few options is a lot of money. Not to mention the extra you will pay the first couple of years for plates and insurance.

8. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    To get the best deal always separate:
    1. purchase of the car
    2. financing
    3. trade-in
    Doing it all together the dealer will play shell game with you. In other words negotiate the best purchase price and only after that let them know if you are going to do any financing and when that is done let them know about the trade-in. #2 and #3 can be interchanged.

Best of luck,

9. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    $600 Rebate?

CarMax: Warning: Outdated web browser has them listed now (new 2008's) at $1501.00 off of MSRP.

I've actually seen folks get upwards of $2000 off of MSRP, although I'm sure it's going to tougher to do this with fuel prices going up.