1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Common Ground?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some more props to F8L for this idea, he's on a roll tonight.

The question . . . Is there Common Ground on FHoP?

We have definitely seen the two political sides of FHoP go at it also the Creationist v. Evolutionist and the Hunan induced GW v. Non-Human. Can we instead of driving the wedge further into the widening gap draw the two sides closer by finding some kind of Common Ground?

Here’s my best shot . . .

Bush is spending too much money and the deficit is, although recently going down, is still way to high. Also I am really, really unsure and concerned about the implementation of the Patriot Act with the recent findings of abuse. One more that I have voiced often in the past and that is the Separation of Church and State. This drawing together of these two sides, now by both ends of the political spectrum is dangerous, and will eventually erode and possibly destroy the greatest nation on earth.

There I have three and willing to discuss them further but thought I would give you all a shot first.

Wildkow

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is common ground I'm sure.

According to studies that were made popular by people like Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and David Korten, when it comes down to core issues like health care, safe cities, clean air/water, healthy forests etc. the contrast of red vs blue states fade to a shade of puple covering the entire United States. Now, how to go about achieving these things is where everything starts to fall apart because so many people are so sure THEY have the right idea and the others are wrong.

I am glad to hear that you are having second thoughts concerning the Bush administrations actions with this new information coming to light. Not because I've harbored this thought for some time now but because it shows you are a thinking individual and not so locked into dogma that you will cover your eyes and ears and not accept any new data and thus never change your opinions. If the new information showed that there was a big conspiracy against Bush and he was a good guy afterall then I would gladly change my views. Not everyone can do that or admit they were wrong.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with F8L and Wilkow - There is a ton of common ground here. Everyone seems so passionate about these subjects, and while i stay out of the religious threads the political ones are all based on discussions concerning the best way for the US to solve a problem. Everyone, right and left, recognize and agree on the problems, we just butt heads over what we feel is the best path towards a solution.

4. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 11 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]421917[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, reality has the last word on the issues of evolution and climate change. If you circumscribe to the data rather than pundit's opinion the conversation would be very short indeed.

5. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand why their is so much debate on global warming. It doesn't matter if its human caused or not. It doesn't even matter if its a "crises" or "concern".

Peak oil and energy indepence are just as valid a concern. The solutions to all of these are the same.
    So I don't care if you want change for GW, or to rid us of the Arab grip on our balls. We can find common ground on what to do, as opposed to why to do it.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Apr 12 2007, 12:36 AM) [snapback]421934[/snapback]</div>
    Nice quote! ;)

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We have more in common than we have differences. I firmly believe that all people have far more in common than differences. But here on FHOP, as well as in the world at large, we focus on our differences. Maybe that's because where we agree there's not a lot to talk about, and our differences anger us.

8. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly right. Its boring to agree all the time.
    But it's another thing to just sling mud around instead of having a civilized discussion about the disagreements. IE: The sinner/sheeple comments in a religious discussion.

It really shouldn't anger anyone that others have different viewpoints.
    We discuss them so we can understand the other view and find common ground.

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's a good point Darwood: We DO have in common that we all fear/hate those who are very different from ourselves! :) We shouldn't, but that's what keeps us arguing.

I'd like to think that we also all have in common a desire to not fear/hate those who are different from ourselves though, and feel a little ashamed when we exhibit behavior that proves to ourselves we're not quite there yet.

10. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am all for polite conversation. However, I can not envision what would be the common ground between creationism and evolution.

Once you argue for creationism you are instantly refuting the facts. How can you have a conservation when even the facts can not be agreed upon.

BTW, where is this coming from?

Attached Files:

11. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Apr 12 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]422166[/snapback]</div>
    The McCain for President campaign? Just a guess...

My mother bridged the gap between creationism and evolution, btw. She is of both camps, and it's a very logical way of looking at it. But that's for another thread.

12. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 12 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]422068[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, we agree. So there's nothing more to say...

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sure there is: you're all a bunch of Hitler Nazis!

14. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 12 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]422347[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony, you're a hypocrite! You're not a Hitler, maybe just a Himmler...

Boards are often not the best place for polite debate. Without being about to hear the tone of the speaker and his/her facial expressions and body language we just infer them and usually in the tone that we're expecting. This is precisely why email can lead to misunderstandings. However, since we live all over the globe, it's a good substitute for a massive number of frequent flier miles and the barrels of beer that we'd drink (or at least I would drink ;) ) discussing all and sundry. Since most of us are yanks I agree that we'd agree on far more than we'd disagree on but group think is pretty dull. You never grow intellectually if you're not challenged. That's true regardless of the issue at hand. Good topic, kow.