1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Common Mods

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by staze, Nov 9, 2006.

1. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey all,

I'm a former lurker, now poster as I finally am getting my 07 Touring on the 21st.

I'm very interested in the BT Plate, but while that argument/discussion is beyond control, I'm curious about other "mods".

What are other common minor mods for Prii that people like? High end air filters seem fairly common (the K&N), as does Synth Oil (which I will definitely do). Other things? Do most people wait until after the first 5k before changing to synth? Most people go with Mobil 1? Probably what I'll use since Costco has it for a pretty good price.

Seems another are the signal mirrors, but that doesn't really do anything for performance.

Has anyone experimented with tire pressure on the touring? I know it's common for a 42/40 (I think) on the Standard, but as the touring has completely different tires, that number might not be appropriate.

I guess as a side note, has anyone heard about Prii and E85? I know E85 at this point is kind of a joke since it takes more energy to make than you get, but it's a curiosity.

Thanks!

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) My modifications:

[1] Stubby antenna (for automatic carwash purposes).
    [2] Body Side Moulding (help prevent door dings).
    [3] Exact Mats (Keeps expensive Prius carpets pretty).

Accessories:
    [a] 12v Mini-Compressor (to maintain preferred tire pressures)
    Professional analog tire gauge ( ditto )
    [c] Sun-shield (cooler interior in 100º Texas summers).

Considering:
    [A] Backup buzzer audible from outside ($10-$15 modification using a Radio Shack piezo buzzer).
    I've held off on this since my 2007 Touring is due within a few days and I preferred to not modify the 2004 I'm trading in.

3. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congrats on your Prius! We got ours almost two weeks ago.

Immediate upgrades that were quick, easy and simple: Disable the backup beeper, add blind spot mirrors, and wax the car.

This weekend's projects? ClearBra paint protection and DICE iPod integration.

Future upgrades? Probably tires, stiffening plate, and the sharkfin antenna.

4. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stomsf @ Nov 9 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]346420[/snapback]</div>
    Bad advice, especially for a new Prius driver. There are a bunch of testimonials on this site to back me up.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Does the 2007 have those plastic rims? If you you can remove them to give the wheels a different look.

6. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congrats on your 07! Check out my banner. I created Priusmods especially for this reason. Enjoy

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Modify the plastic thing at the base of the rear wiper so it can be folded out farther which makes it easier to wash the rear window.

For SKS vehicles set up the door unlocking to suit your preference, there are three options. Refer to owners manual.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  9. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1) The K&N drop in filter is not yet available. No intakes available either so your only choice for now is the OEM filter.

2) Full synthetic with a K&N, Mobil1, or Bosch filter is the way to go. You'll hear endless debates about what "mileage" you should perform this duty, but I did mine at around 2,500 miles. I also run 10,000-15,000 miles intervals (depending on which filter I get). No regrets about this!
    Mobil 1 is a good off the shelf oil, but even better is Redline Oil or Royal Purple (available at Pepboys $6.99/qt).

3) The OEM signal mirrors are a GREAT safety addition. I personally installed the JDM side blinkers, but if I had to do it again I would gladly purchase the signal mirrors from sigmaautomotive.com

4) Look at the max psi on the sidewall of the tire and experiment from there. I'd recommend from the MAX to try 2psi lower on the front and 4psi lower on the rear. The rears always need to have 2psi less to help control understeer.
    Speaking of handling, another popular "performance" addition is the BT stiffening plate which is currently on sale for $145.00 shipped. There are tons of positive reviews about this plate.

5) I don't keep up with E85 so I won't even answer that, however, there are once again lots of threads about this.

Other things that I'd recommend:
    -OEM All-weather mats (about $60-80)
    -OEM Mud flaps (just to protect against flying debris)
    -Tire upgrade as soon as possible (Integrities are unacceptable in wet weather)

And yes... all of these mods are in my car... so I suppose that this is a bit biased. :) They all work!

10. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 9 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]346425[/snapback]</div>
    A bunch? I can recall a handfull at most. IMHO this car is just like any other and the beeper is not only not necessary, it's so loud that it is actually worse to have it on. With that thing beeping inside the car it's difficult to hear what's going on outside.

As with any (AT) car when you are in reverse and let up on the brake you start creeping backwards, that's plenty of feedback for me.

My $.02

Sorry about the thread hijack.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(staze @ Nov 9 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]346395[/snapback]</div>
    My mods are mostly cosmetic - Silverstars, VVT-i emblem, sport pedals, all-weather mats, cargo mat, JDM Prius Interior footwell lighting kit.
    My audio mod is the DICE iPod kit
    My "performance" mod is the EV mod.

My Integritys are at 38/36

The Prius cannot take E85. E10 tops.

12. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    He has a package #6. I believe they come with stock HIDs so no need for silverstars (eventhough they are a good choice for those with stock halogens).

Also very worthy of mentioning is the Weathertech Trunk Mat. www.weathertech.com

13. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 9 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]346780[/snapback]</div>
    As far as I can tell, Package 6 is now the top for both models. They "simplified". So it's a Touring with everything... HIDs are standard on the touring.

I think I'm going to get some mud flaps, and the BT plate fairly soon after buying it. The Glass Break sensor right off the bat. Mobil 1 in at 5k.

I swear I saw a thread about sometihng putting in a K&N filter... would he/she have had to hack it? The K&N site lists a filter for the 06. I'm going to try pulling the covers off the wheels, see what I think of the bare alloys.

Other suggestions?

14. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(staze @ Nov 10 2006, 01:31 AM) [snapback]346807[/snapback]</div>
    I stand corrected KNFILTERS.COM now shows applications for 04-06 Prius!!! This is new to me... i checked about two months and it was not offered. Great news, but then again we'll have tons of thread asking if the price is justifyable. I just change it because it makes my car breath easier and it's cleanable, not too much for the marginal mpg benefit.

15. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Nov 9 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]346544[/snapback]</div>
    A "handfull" of accidents is enough for me. If this car is like any other, why did you buy it? It's way different! No car I ever had gave me a shift lever like the Prius. It invites accidents. But if you are perfect you will never make a mistake like the "handfull" of miscreants did. Good luck!

16. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What I have done:
    - backup-camera - (from internet retailers)
    - backup ultrasound sensors w/ display (eBay)
    - rose-wood dash kit (eBay)
    - rear bumper applique (toyota dealer)
    - side moulding (toyota dealer)

What I plan to do: (within 1 - 2 years when price is right)
    - signal Mirrors
    - BT Plate (?)
    - size up tires to 205
    - leather interior

17. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh yeah, here's one. How about having a hitch installed for a bike rack? Anyone have one? Who installed it? I know the manual specifically says Toyota does not recommend it, and says not to tow. I'm not going to tow anything... I just like tail hitch style bike racks.

Also, and I'm sure the threads exist, I just need to look, but... how well does the DICE system work for people? Got any pictures of the system active? I'm a tad confused reading through the documentation I've found... it's very non-prius specific... so it doesn't sound that impressive by those accounts. But, it certainly does sound safer than playing with an ipod while driving. =P So... impressions?

Thanks!

18. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  19. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 10 2006, 01:47 AM) [snapback]346810[/snapback]</div>
    Four wheels. Gas goes in the tank. Gas pedal. Brake pedal. Steering wheel. As far as I'm concerned this car is driven like any other (AT) car. Sure the shift lever is unusual, but when you put it in reverse (or drive) the indicator on the dash tells you what gear you're in just like any other (AT) car. When you release your foot off the gas the car creeps in the direction you want to go, just like any other (AT) car.

Sure this car is special in that it has very low emissions, and gets great mileage. But with one notable exception it gets me from A to B just like any other car. The exception is that the use of the HOV lanes gets me from A to B much quicker than most other cars.

20. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Removed the plastic trim rings from the wheels, run 38/35 on stock tires, switched to Mobil 1 at 10K, added an aux input to the sound system (PAC aux box), wheelskin steering wheel cover. Considering the TRD suspension kit.