1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Commuter Needed

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Shadow98, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Shadow98

Shadow98 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was looking at the insight but being 2 seater it won't work for me.

What model year Prius should I look at for overall affordability including maintenance cost. Not looking to spend a ton of money because I already have 2 vehicles this will be for gas savings only.

Other cars I am considering are the following

VW Golf TDI
    Honda Civic HX,VX,CX models

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    MY 2006-2009 is the same car. Some early options became standard later. The only serious recall was the replacement of the inverter coolant pump on 2006-2007. Compared to the earlier Gen2 these have an upgraded display, different texture on the dash, and a less touchy VSC.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OP may as well rule out the VW as they're not known for reliability and diesel usually costs more (see http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/ for current averages).

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're using it for commuting only, why will a 2-seater not work for you? Carpool?
    It really doesn't matter, because a gently used Prius (G1/2/3) is a helluva good commuting car, and you can haul 4 other PAX if you want to.....and if the three in the back seat are pretty good friends. If you fold up the rear seats, you can even use it for light cargo duty.
    As long as you don't need a tow beast, you may want to consider staying a two-car family by trading in one of your other vehicles.
    What are you paying for in gas per month, and how much of this do you expect to save by bumping your real world MPG up to the high 40's? What do you consider to be "a ton of money"? How many miles on the commute? What state do you live in? Priuses are more expensive in some markets, and in Northern climes you'll have to consider temperature related MPG dips and/or snow tires. CARB states have higher warranties for some hybrid components (traction battery.)
    Priuses have a very light maintenance schedule, and they're pretty reliable, but you'll need to determine whether or not it's been properly maintained, wrecked, flooded, ragged, stolen, etc.
    The used Prius market is pretty tight. This means that finding a "gently used" G1,2,3 for "not a ton of money" can be difficult, unless your other two cars have exotic Italian nameplates on them, in which case even a new G3 would not be "a ton of money".
    YMMV... ;)