1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Compact vs Hybrid Yahoo Finance got it wrong

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by priustexasbob, May 1, 2011.

1. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yahoo Finance has a video/article on gas at $4.00 which is cost effective a compact or hybrid. they show the hybrid as getting 42 city and 43 highway. I would like to know where they got those numbers. here is a link to the written article.

Yahoo! Finance - Financially Fit

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a great Dilbert clip on my laptop before it decided to NOT backup my email after I told it to when I restored it the last time that basically said "numbers are irrelevant". I am also a little curious where those FE numbers came from, because I don't know of any hybrid that's 42/43 rated by EPA.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    a) Prius is not a compact
    b) It gets 50
    c) Based on above the article is already of no interest to me

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The article is just another way of expressing the "Hybrid Premium".
    The numbers they gave compared a theoretical hybrid against a theoretical compact.

Since Priuses are the most efficient Hybrids currently available, this clearly does not apply to them.

Frankly, I didn't even bother to read the entire article---since the concept of trying to figure TCO for a given car is going to vary wildly depending on who and where you are.

If you're happy driving your G3.....you shouldn't worry much about what you read on the internet about how "wise" it is to continue to do so. Conversely...if somebody else finds that the ROI on a brand-spanking new 2011 Prius is too far to the right to justify a $25,000 to $35,000 expenditure, it does not necessarily mean that they're a Luddite....:D
    There's just too many variables involved to say that everybody in the whole wide world can be most efficiently served by one car....or even one class of car.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A hybrid with a higher highway mileage than city? Sounds like the editor didn't care or know so just made up numbers....

6. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius envy. Looks like they compared a chevy cruze to the prius.

I could be wrong but hard to make a Prius not get better than the mileage they used. Guess they were looking to make their point in favor of the non hybrid.

Also, the cost of maintenance, and resale value would also be lower for the hybrid...

7. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have noticed over past few months that yahoo has been coming up with very poorly written or researched articles from all the gas myth articles that tell us things like A/C does not use gas and higher tire pressure do nothing for fuel economy ect.... to hybrids are not worth the money!
    Leads me to believe they work for big oil!!!:eek:

1 person likes this.
  8. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is just another example of a deceptive article based on bad numbers and fuzzy math. Certainly, it's difficult to imagine that the genesis of clearly biased articles such as this do not have a root in the oil industry.

-Brad