1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Company won't grant PTO - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As many of you know, every year several friends and I visit a different city during March Madness for the NCAA Tournament. This year is no different and we are planning on going to Salt Lake City for the Tournament (1st & 2nd Rds), but coming into town early on Saturday and leaving the following Sunday (games are Thursday and Saturday) to drive around and see that part of the country. Current plans include going to Park City, Moab, etc. I've been planning to leave March 11th and come back March 19th.

When I first joined this company (been with them since September), in a casual conversation I told the boss I directly report to that we make this trip each March, yadda yadda. He mentioned that no one for as long as he'd been there has been turned down for PTO. On February 8th I put in my request for PTO for the 5 days I'll be gone. February 10th I got an email back from the managing partner of the consulting firm (there are 10 of us total - we all work from home) denying my request "at this time". Her reasoning was that my boss might have been going to Australia that week to visit a client, and that one of us needed to be in the office during that time (we are the only 2 that work on this software product we sell). Fine, that kinda makes sense.

So I chat with my boss. He tells me to hold off on asking her to reconsider until he finds out more about his Australia trip. Friday he tells me that his Australia trip has been post-poned until late April or early May. So I email the managing partner this morning to ask her to reconsider, stating that I would be more than happy to work from the hotel room after-hours 5 of the days, etc.

Her response: No. She will not approve PTO until mid-April when things "have slowed down." What makes me mad is that she has no idea what our workload is, because her consulting portion of it is totally different from what we do with the software product we have just begun selling. So because she's not approving PTO for more than a single day for the other consultants, she won't approve mine either. Not that anyone else is requesting PTO....

I guess this is a rant thread, but I wanted to see what y'all's opinions were and if I have any course of action to take. The managing partner doesn't seem to like me - she cuts me off when I bring up ideas during our weekly conference calls, she's short with me when discussing other business-related items, etc, so I think that a good portion of this is personal.

:angry:

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    go in swinging. :angry:

i mean... uh... n/m

can you afford the unpaid time off? we don't get much paid vacation to work with either, and that means we usually stick a couple bucks away to get us through weeks of unpaid vacation we may need to take. of course, without much time to plan for it- that's rough.

or is the situation that she doesn't want to give anyone any time off, period? in that case, even worse :(

sorry you're getting treated like that. hope you find a way around this stuff. hopefully someone else, who is a little more familiar with the whole "job" thing :)lol: says the perpetual student) will be able to lend more advice.

3. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like she doesn't like you, period! Bummer.

You will never get PTO when you want it if you have to go through her. There will always be an excuse. My son-in-law had a boss like that. The job didn't last long, there were always "performance" problems, and expected bonuses/raises that didn't happen, etc, etc, etc...

Is there any one else you can work with? Who hired you? Go to them for help. If someone above her likes you, you could go to them with your problems. It probably won't solve the problems though, and she will get pissed because you jumped over her.

You or she will eventually leave the job. Probably you. Sorry.

Lisa

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately it's not a situation where I can just take unpaid leave - she's just flat out not allowing me to take time off.

Also, she is the top of the totem pole. There are 4 partners - 1 who hired me, 2 others, and her. She is the managing partner and either a) is the head-honco or B) she is on a power trip and has to act like she is the head-honcho. I'm betting it's more b than a.

The partner who hired me is also my direct boss, and he knows the situation, but is, um, hesitant to do much to come to my aid.

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't have any personal advice but try doing nothing sometimes it works. Let her stew in her own juices maybe guilt will get to her and or maybe she does have a legit reason.

http://www.badbossology.com/
    http://www.quintcareers.com/bad_bosses.html
    http://www.bbmcareerdev.com/bad_bosses.html
    http://www.employeesurveys.com/bosses/badboss.htm

Best thoughts and prayers it can be diffcult

Wildkow

6. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

My advice is to forgettaboutit! Work your nice person off to make the compay a huge success and when they realize you are indispensible you can name your own tune. It takes time and effort but is well worth it. And there is no such thing as a free lunch.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

as you all work from your home office if I was you I inform her that the office move to SLC. I also tend to be a hard case when it comes to "pills". Rent a Blackberry and use your cell. Your in constant contact with HQ and the customer that needs your services. She'd probably never notice your not in your "office".

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, you haven't been working there that long. Since September? Six months? A lot of companies don't give you any leave at all until you've been there a year.

It doesn't bode well that your direct superior, who is also a partner in the company, won't do anything for you. What you told them about this when they hired you doesn't really mean anything, as you can now see. You didn't get it in writing so you don't have any leverage there.

As for the boss making the decisions....don't hold out any hope there either. I don't think there is anything you can do that will change her perceptions. I doubt you'll ever get a week of paid leave at any time. Unless you have a contract of some kind that entitles you to holidays or has a formula for paid leave, I doubt you'll get them. And if you do, they probably won't be when you want them.

As for working hard to impress her and earn some consideration...don't hold your breath. She doesn't respect you now and that probably won't change.

You could either work from "home" that week as suggested or you could get the "flu". If you got sick that week and they know that's the week you wanted off....well, that could bite you in the Londonderry Aire. You could just take off Thursday and Friday just for the actual games. If you work at home, they might not even realize you are gone.

Is this your dream job? Do you love it? Because I think at some point you are going to be looking to move on to something else or at least to work for someone else. Maybe at some point start your own business or work as an independent consultant?

9. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have you set a date for your wedding yet? Are you going to have the same kind of problem arranging time off for your honeymoon?

This sounds like a bad situation all around. If it were me, I'd be simultaneously looking for ways to improve relations with the managing partner and checking out other employment options.

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is bad news. It's actually a control freak kind of thing. She likely doesn't feel that your basketball viewing is worthwhile. (Neither do I, but that's another matter entirely).

There are only two ways to make an employee happy, pay them a lot, or make their work environment very pleasant. She has missed the second one; I hope she is on target on the first one.

Nate

11. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I read that peak flu month is February... but can run late & into the month of March... and last 5 days or more.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, I have zero experience with this kind of thing, but I gotta toss in my two cents worth:

It sounds like you have a bad work environment. This particular 5-day holiday is important to you and this woman does not like you and does not want to give it to you.

Consider: Is your being at home on the job really important to the company? Is she being reasonable in thinking that the company could suffer if you were not available? Or is her position really unreasonable?

Consider: Is the pay good enough that you are willing to give up your traditional NCAA holiday for it?

Consider: Given the unpleasant work environment and your present financial situation (whatever it may be) are you willing to give up this job and begin looking for another? (How hard would it be for you to find another suitable job?)

If you are willing to give up the job, you are in a position to give an ultimatum: "I was given to understand I'd be able to take this holiday, and I'm taking it. I'm resigning my job effective March 11. I'll be back on March 19, and if you want to hire me back, I want X number of dollars salary."

If you are not willing to give up the job, they have you over a barrel. Considering how short a time you've had the job, are you willing to pass up your holiday this year in hopes of better relations in the future? Or is this woman so clearly antagonistic that you have no hopes of improvement?

If the latter is the case, you probably should start looking for a better job. And if you can't afford to lose this one, you'll have to miss the holiday.

That's just how I break down your options.

I wish you the best of luck. I've had good bosses and bad bosses. A good boss can make even cleaning out the milk parlor tolerable. A bad boss takes the fun out of even an enjoyable job. My sympathies lie with the IWW.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, here's an update. I resigned today.

In the end for me it wasn't even about the trip to SLC, it was the major difference in opinion I have with the managing partner over more subjects than just PTO and my complete lack of interest in what their business is. I think that if you're going to spend your life doing something, you should be interested in it and wake up every day ready for the new challenges that day will bring. My father's been a pilot his whole life and has missed birthdays and anniversaries and other events for work, but he loves what he does, he's happy, and that's why he's the finest man I know.

One nice benefit of resigning today with a 2 week notice is that my last day will be the day before I leave for SLC and they have to pay me my accrued PTO (around 50 hours) which will cover the whole week.

I've had a lot of projects and ideas going on in my pea for a brain since I started PriusChat, and I'm finally going to sit down and try to make some of them realities.

So.... any PCers around SLC? (I'm already planning on meeting with Kyle)

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd ask for details on the open position, except I'm not masochistic...

15. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Congrats Danny!

I wish you well and I think you did the right thing.

16. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

yup sometimes pills are hard to swallow. I've lived and died by my decisions about jobs in my life and I'm here now and enjoying it and in retrospect I took my road and wouldn't have change the route at all. My father in law asked the wife one time if I had a job and she said yes he's got a good job and his answer was if it's a job it's no damn good. I always like him, too bad he's gone now, but like I said it was my road. You'll find another and hopefully it'll be better than this one. Enjoy the games......... your decision, stands, by my standards.

17. tideland_raj

tideland_raj New Member

Wow, congrats Danny.

my $0.02? Sometimes jobs are just shit for you. The job market isn't that bad these days, and losing your sanity over a bad job because you "don't want to rock the boat" or "things will get better" is a losing proposition (unless you have hard data to back up that feeling).

I quit my previous job back in Dec (tho I had something else lined up), and haven't looked back. The place was OK, but I had a fundamental disagreement about the company and their strategy, and knew that I didn't want to fight to keep a job I couldn't stomach.

Life now? Great, and getting better. It took a while to get past the low self-esteem of dealing with a job that didn't align with my principles, but I'm literally much happier now.
    Lost weight, get more sleep and feel 2x as productive.

So good for you and let us know how things go after your NCAA trip :)

18. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

Fayette County, PA (50 miles SE of Pittsburgh)
    Good luck, Danny!
    What was their response when you turned in your resignation?

19. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You probably took care of it quick rather than waiting around for her to really make your life miserable or trying to get you fired. Personally, I would have gone to her in person and said something along the lines of 'do you have some problem with me?' But it's difficult when someone further up the totem pole doesn't like you. It makes things a lot harder than they need to be.

20. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

First Congratulations Danny!!!
    This is kind of funny. A lady at my job resigned today because she was denied vacation as well. She had other reasons to leave also.

Good luck