1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Compare v with 2nd gen? (mostly, acceleration)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by weixulu, Jul 9, 2016.

1. weixulu

weixulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We want to replace our Prius '07 with a 12 or 13 Prius v. After reading some reviews, I'm quite pleased with what this vehicle could offer. However, I'm still concerned about the acceleration (especially with 2-3 passengers and some luggage) which many people hate.

How does its power mode compare to a 2nd gen, which has a 1.5L engine? As long as it's no worse than the 2nd gen, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Thanks!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have both cars and the v accelerates better. In addition to the bigger motor and hybrid system, it has a higher numerical final drive ratio, which is functionally a better acceleration ratio. That higher numerical final drive ratio does impact the mpg over that of a gen2 but is still rated at 42mpg.

3. weixulu

weixulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I now lean more towards getting a v!

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The v also has bigger wheels and improved steering geometry making it a much better road car with better steering feel and ride. It has no drive belts on the engine. It has a higher performing AC system and of course more storage. I can get 10 ft pieces of PVC or lumber in by folding the seats down (front seat back). The rear seat room is superb and each rear seat reclines and adjusts front to back. I would buy the newest and lowest mileage you can afford.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I owned a Gen2 then a v. The v feels faster, it can even chirp the tires if I am impatient. It will serve you well.

6. lifehouse

lifehouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Able to drive a v and felt the huge difference than my 2005. Get one and enjoy