1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Comparing CO{2} Impacts of Plug-in Hybrids and EVs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Dec 1, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is an open paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-16684-9

The actual contribution of plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles (PHEV and BEV) to greenhouse gas mitigation depends on their real-world usage. Often BEV are seen as superior as they drive only electrically and do not have any direct emissions during driving. However, empirical evidence on which vehicle electrifies more mileage with a given battery capacity is lacking. Here, we present the first systematic overview of empirical findings on actual PHEV and BEV usage for the US and Germany. Contrary to common belief, PHEV with about 60 km of real-world range currently electrify as many annual vehicles kilometres as BEV with a much smaller battery. Accordingly, PHEV recharged from renewable electricity can highly contribute to green house gas mitigation in car transport. Including the higher CO2eq emissions during the production phase of BEV compared to PHEV, PHEV show today higher CO2eq savings then BEVs compared to conventional vehicles. However, for significant CO2eqimprovements of PHEV and particularly of BEVs the decarbonisation of the electricity system should go on.

[​IMG]

I have deliberately driven our plug-in hybrids to 0% SOC, the EV equivalent of an empty gas tank (something I have a reputation.) In contrast, a 310 mile Model 3, 238 mile Chevy Bolt, or 107 mile Leaf, I would never do this without having a 1.5-7.0 kW, portable generator in the back with a spare can and time to wait on the charge. A plug-in hybrid can and in real life, fully exploits the battery capacity which a BEV seldom if ever does.

Undestand I appreciate our Prius Prime efficiency but architecturally, I like the BMW i3-REx architecture better because it uses a smaller although less efficient engine. But that is something we'll cover in a year or so when my BMW warranty coverage ends and I am free to 'fix it.'

Bob Wilson

ps. I personally don't 'set my hair on fire' about CO{2}. Rather CO{2} is a first-order side effect of driving on high priced, gasoline versus driving on half-priced, flex-fueled, electricity.

#1 bwilson4web, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A PHEV can fully exploit its battery capacity, but it pays for that ability by having the ICE, which increases complexity, maintenance, and likely has a disadvantage in the design packaging. With BEVs predicted to reach total owner ships costs equal to that of a traditional ICE in the next few years, the PHEV might also cost more.

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This information seems to have uprooted what I had thought earlier on that, BEV, are more greenhouse friendly than PHEV.

But I tend to feel that bev doesn't run on ice, so what the hell could make phev more friendly to the environment?

Dxta

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The PHEV has a lower carbon production for its battery vs. a BEV. Some of that difference goes to making the ICE and attending parts, but the PHEV still comes out ahead. So when using the same electric source, and driving the same distance on EV, The PHEV is better. In fact, real world data shows it could be better because a PHEV driver doesn't have range anxiety, and make full use of the battery, whereas a BEV driver will mostly keep a reserve in the battery. So even if the PHEV has the same size battery as a BEV, it could end up displacing more miles for electric. Of course such a PHEV will have higher production emissions than the BEV.

But individual results will come down to the individual. A PHEV with an EV range longer than the person's daily use will be paying some of the same extra emission cost as the BEV. Regularly go over the EV range by some amount, and you can start closing the gap between the production emission difference. That's how the PHEV and BEV after all. A standard ICE car has lower production emissions than either, but surpasses them through the fuel it burns.