1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comparing Gen 4's with 2024 Corolla Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ColoradoBoo, Sep 8, 2024 at 7:31 PM.

1. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So we've had our 2024 Corolla Hybrid for a couple of days and has the same ICE and Hybrid system...with some differences...
    -Corolla has no engine cover but has insulation on the hood. On the engine, there's two round, black pegs on the both front sides of the exhaust manifold....it concerned me because it looks like a small hose could go on there. Looking at the Prius, I had to pull off the cover and, yep, those pegs are for an engine cover.
    -Whenever you open the Prius driver door, the electric whirring sound can be heard as the regen braking charges but the Corolla Hybrid never does that...even when I opened the door when car was cold this morning.
    -Didn't do a lot of driving, yet, but only getting just over 40 mpg, so far in the Corolla. Hoping that goes up to, at least, 50, when the computers and everything get eveything set.
    -Noticed in the Owner's Manual a new setting to do when rotating the tires that resets the tire locations. (But it didn't specify if it assumes we do a cross-over rotation or front/back back/front. I always just do the later.)
    -I got used to looking at the middle of the dash in the Prius, will have to adjust for the info in the front.
    -Speaking of info, appreciate how the Corolla has a coolant temperature display....something I've always hated about the Prius not having...way to easy to ruin a head gasket with overheating.
    -Has USB and USB-C ports and a wireless charging pad....very cool. And the wireless Apple Car Play works great.
    -Corolla does an annoying beeping (like my Tundra) if you get out with the lights on but seems to, still, auto shut off the lights, according to the Owner's Manual. Kinda weird.
    -Nice to have an open button on the Key Fob for the trunk but it only opens about halfway...not sure if this is normal. I looked in there for the struts and, nope, STILL has the old-school trunk metal bars just like our old 2008 Corolla....where's the kaizen, Toyota?
    -Nice to have normal wheels with no hubcaps...both our Prius have those stupid hub caps.
    -Has the Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 but nothing changed all that much. Oh, it does have 4 settings, instead of 3, to how far you follow the car in front of you when using the adaptive cruise control. Also speeds up when you go to pass someone while using it. (Haven't tested it, yet...not supposed to use cruise control while the ICE is breaking in.)

I gotta confess, besides the poorer MPG than my 2021 Prius, I like the Corolla Hybrid better....it's my wife's car but she's not willing to trade....stinker!