1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comparing hybrids-because I want to buy one

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Clean Air, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Clean Air

Clean Air New Member

just joined, basically to ask this question. I'm considering buying a hybrid, and over the years have seen comments here and there by devotee-owners of *both* these cars; usually raving about the one they own and bashing the other. Any one happen to have personal experience owning or driving both? Or....can you share any reliable comparison info about the pros and cons of both? Also curious about the Honda Civic hybrid. but an older Insight is more in my price range. I've heard that the Prius, before 2004 models had some big problems. Thanks a bunch. From Durango CO.

2. rflagg

rflagg Member

I've only test drove a HCH, never owned one - and never got a chance to test drive an Insight, but I'll do what I can for you. :)

I have nothing bad to say about the HCH or Insight - I think they're both moving in the right direction - even more so obvious by the upcoming '06 HCH that will allow for more battery driving and less engine usage. That being said, of course I love my Prius - and a few reasons I chose the Prius over the HCH was the fact that it had the center screen, bluetooth built in, nav built in, the unique design, the (nominally) better epa numbers, the lower emissions, and just being more futuristic feeling. However, if I had the money at the time prior to the new Prius being released, I would be currently driving an HCH.

I think what you need to decide first, is if you want a 2 door or a 4 door - if you can handle having the Insight and not having nearly as much space as either the HCH or the Prius, the better you'll do on the road. Best of luck and let us know what you decide! :)

-m.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I suggest you go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
    This site allows you to get information on various cars and you can compare up to 4 side by side. Just enter the information for the Prius and the HCH.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only test driven the HAH and Escape Hybrid. But I'll give you my reasons for getting a Prius over the HCH.

a) it's only a few thousand more for larger, more practical vehicle
    B) it has more standard features
    c) it has more cool toys (SKS, bluetooth, nav)
    d) it stands out as a hybrid and not disguised as a regular car
    e) I liked the idea of EV mode
    f) hatchback versatility
    g) more interior volume (passenger and cargo)
    h) 60/40 split folding rear seats
    i) the lowest emissions of any car (AT-PZEV vs. only ULEV for Honda Hybrids)

If you're going for the Insight, make sure that you can live without the cargo room and that it's only a 2 passenger vehicle. If it's strictly a commuter vehicle, it's perfect. It's aerodynamic and ultra-efficient.

If you're going for the HCH, you might want to wait for the 2006 model. The current one has been around since 2002 (or was it 2003?). The new one is much more efficient and no doubtly, will be larger than the current Civic.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since your id is "Clean Air" you may be particularly interested in the EPA emission ratings for the hybrids.

Some are only ULEV, the same as quite a few non-hybrids. They quite literally provide no smog-related emission reduction at all. Their only benefit is lower carbon-dioxide (global warming) due to the MPG improvement. This rating is measured for 100,000 miles.

SULEV is the real mccoy. It really is cleaner (smog-related) just about all the other vehicles in its same class. You obviously get the MPG related benefit too. This rating is measured for 120,000 miles.

PZEV is the best. It not only meets the SULEV criteria for emissons measured from the tailpipe, it also almost entirely eliminates evaporative emissions (the kind that come directly from your gas tank). This rating is measured for 120,000 miles in 45 states and 150,000 miles in 5 states now (beginning next year, it will be 150,000 miles in all 50 states). Some states provide a longer emission warranty for this rating too.

Prius is PZEV.

6. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok consider this: The civic hybrid is slower, weighs less, and has a smaller engine compared to the Prius. Because of those aspects it SHOULD get better fuel economy... but usually, it doesn't. Doesn't that make you think? It just speaks for the efficiency of the Prius HSD system compared to the Honda IMA system.

Another, if you enjoy folding your rear seats down for extra cargo space. Say goodbye to that if you get a Civic Hybrid.

I don't really understand where the major problems are coming from. If there really were an epidemic of problems, the Prius wouldn't have achieved the highest customer satisfaction out of ALL cars according to Consumer Reports. Prius achieved a rating of 94% while the Civic Hybrid was somewhere in the 80's.

I wrote something for a friend because he was interested in a Prius.. if you want to take a look at it, its at http://www.xanga.com/prius/ its the first post too

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, to supplement flareak, the Classic Prius with the "old" THS design got better mileage than the HCH so it's not just the new HSD.

Edit: Flareak, we don't have steer-by-wire. Our steering wheel is electrically assisted but is still mechanical.

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What type of driving will you be doing?
    If you drive primarily on the highway, the insight will get you the best mileage and might be a good choice. Otherwise I'd have to recomend the Prius. It is ideally suited for city driving, but can still get 50 MPG on the highway. The new civic is intriquing though, and seems to be a "poor man's Prius". A good car, with just a little less of everything (size, MPG, power, and price). I have ethical problems with the HAH and won't drive or discuss it.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe. It was still a good read flareak!

11. wstander

wstander New Member

I just traded my 2004 HCH 5speed manual AT-PZEV for a 2005 Prius pkg6/BC.

I am in California, drive from 1700ft to sea level and back, 87miles round trip daily, and in 39,000 miles on the HCH averaged 47MPG lifetime.

My inputs are that the HCH is more 'flingable' and leans less in the twisty bits. It is also more cramped and less roomy and less utilitarian. Having a preference for sport car ergonomics, I feel that the HCH was better in that regard (sometimes a manual dial is better than drilling down 2 levels in a touch-screen). The HCH had height adjustable seats, Prius not. The HCH was hard-pressed to maintain 43MPH in 3rd gear on a 2 mile long 7% grade; the Prius has to be 'reined-in' lest I collect F350 pickups. In 2004, the HCH was available, the Prius was a one-year wait. In the HCH I generally 'drove' the car; in the Prius, it is more like pointing. I like the Prius, but the HCH has some good points. Before I bought the HCH, I had considered even a new VW TDI diesel, but here in California, diesel costs more and is not available at the discount places or the military base where I usually fill up.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Both what? Your original post is unclear.
    By both you mean the Prius vs the Insight, or by both you mean if you own two different hybrid cars, comare the two that you own?