1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

comparing my Prius to my 400h

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jayhawk22, Oct 23, 2010.

1. jayhawk22

jayhawk22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have owned a 2010 Prius for about 3 months now. With a light gas pedal I am averaging right around 50 mpg all city driving. Last week I bought a used 2008 Lexus 400h. Also with a light pedal in all city driving the computer is showing 31 mpg. I love both of my hybrids but the Lexus is amazing! I just had a couple observations when comparing the two. First off the Lexus' batteries seem to hold their charge longer & charges faster. Also, the Lexus seems to stay in electric mode longer & is easier to coax into electric drive. Any thoughts on the different battery setups in these vehicles? Thanks!

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No NAV in the Prius? Well, consider yourself lucky because the NAV screen in the Lexus blows it away and you avoid having to be constantly reminded how crappy the one in the Prius is.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    both cars are nice. i have an 04 prius and my parents used to have a 400h. i could average low 30's.. everyone else averaged in low 20's.

the nav is nicer... but all in all.. the core of the cars feel the same... as in nav setup.. screen setups.. the way you feel in them....

over a smooth road at night time, i've mistaken my prius for the lexus.

main advantage?... the lexus really is a beefed up system. the 3.3 liter engine generates a lot of power quickly..( plus it runs at higher voltage) it also allows you to throw the 400h around like a sports car. everyone is afraid to do it.. but once you do it.. you'll love it. that car is a beast.... with a silk coat...

for example.. the new lexus hatchback that's coming out... it uses the prius engine... but lexus inverters.. so they add low and high gears electronically by boosting voltage. they call it sport mode.

toyota "could" adopt this method.. but i don't see that happening till they make another breakthrough for lexus hybrids. (then again, they do have the reduction gear on lexus... your 400h has the "low gear".. or whatever it's called... that's a lot of fun too)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure but the rear electric motor in the RX400h could help with regenerative braking and thus a faster charge?

Both run at up to 650V. It's possible that the Prius doesn't run in that mode all the time while the RX does, making it feel more lively in electric mode.

5. jholder

jholder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What have you found the interior feel, size wise, to differ between the two? I looked at the measurements and they seem very similar. We had an RX and best I remember I always hit my head getting into it. Also had a friend w an RX get in mine last week and she said it felt just as roomy.

Your thoughts?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm gonna assume you're asking V8Cobrakid.

7. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have both, 2010 Prius and 2008 RX400h. Both are nice vehicles. But it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. Although the Prius has generous interior volume for a mid-size car, it is not as generous as the Lexus. I can take a golf foursome to Myrtle Beach with weekend bags and carry-type golf bags, could not do that in the Prius. The Lexus is also wider and the seats are more generous. Visibility is also better on the Lexus.

The trim level on the Lexus is WAY beyond the Prius, it's much more luxurious. In the Lexus you get great convenience items like power/memory (3 drivers) seats, mirrors, and steering wheel. The mirrors are also auto dimming. There's other stuff like the power lift gate, etc.

The Lexus has a LOT more power, when you stomp on it and both electric motors kick in, it knocks you back in the seat, its power off the line rivals a Porsche Cayenne (standard model).

They both drive and ride well but the Lexus has a more refined ride you'd expect with a heavier vehicle.

If I had a choice of which I'd rather drive every day, it would be the Lexus.