1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comparison: 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid vs 2007 Saturn Aura Green Line vs 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At the moment, the number of hybrid-powered cars, trucks, SUVs, and crossovers clamoring for your attention totals not two, or three, or four, but 13. This is no longer a parlor trick. Yet after two years of sometimes three-buck gas and a 600-expert U.N. report that pegs the human fingerprint on climate change at a 90 percent certainty, let's count, shall we, the number of hybrids that are selling in notable numbers. Ummm, one. The Prius.

What's the reticence here?

It's the kitchen-table economics of the hybrid-premium, pal. Everybody is an eco-altruist until it comes time to write a check. Even little ones. Is $50 per month reasonable? $10 way too much? We'll number-crunch how big or small that check is for Toyota's Camry Hybrid, Nissan's Camry-clone Altima Hybrid, and Saturn's Aura Green Line Hybrid. But first, we ought to get acquainted with these three electro-combustive marvels.

Full Article

2. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

They picked the Altima as the winner. :blink:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    same difference, no? (almost)

4. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My biggest issue with this review is their "price premium". (Although almost all reviews do this)

They compare the Hybrid to the LE not the XLE.

Like the XLE, the hybrid has alloy wheels, upgraded stereo, dual-zone climate control, stability control, etc. The LE lacks all of these. For 2007 the base prices were approx 25k for the 4-cyl XLE, 26 for the hybrid and 27 for the V6 XLE.

I see NO price "premium" of any kind. With that, I fail to see how the 4 cylinder XLE sells. With the hybrid you get extra speed, extra quiet and almost 50% better fuel economy for about $1000 more.

From what I hear about 10% of the US Camry market is the hybrid version. In Canada it sounds like it is closer to 20%.

5. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

I agree... but you can't put that completely on the reviewers. The car companies should make basic hybrid versions of their cars to appeal to the people who want just the basics. For example If I bought a Camry, I'd go for the just the basics. But to get a hybrid, I'm forced to buy all the other bells and whistles that I probably wouldn't use.

6. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Actually the reason the Altima won out was because of the tax credit, since none is available for the Camry.