1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comparison driving Gen2 and Gen3 back to back

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Feb 25, 2010.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tonight I have my 2009 Prius and a 2010 rental in the garage and I can offer an objective comparison after driving them one after the other a couple times ..... the 2010 Prius faceplants the 'Gen2' Prius in more than a few ways. :D

Seriously, the 2010 feels much, much more solid on the road. I sometimes deem my 2009 as 'rolly-polly' in terms of road feel. Hands-down, the 2010 Prius feels like a better car than the 2009, Gen2. It picks up speed more quickly from a standing start, especially in power mode. I have to dig into the pedal on my 09 quite a bit if a car behind is in a hurry from a stop light.

My 2009 window rattles when slightly opened. Not so on this 2010 rental. I also don't hear any rattles from the dash on the '10. I sometimes get a dash rattle on mine.

That's pretty much it. The '10 feels like a better, more solid car.

1 person likes this.
  2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I remember correctly you're the poster that needs seat extensions b/c you're a taller feller. Go figure you like the Gen3 better.

That said, no one would argue against your points. Rattles are a matter of luck and/or time, however. And, I think that the Touring handles slightly better than the Gen3 base model.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, yeah. The '10 Prius has the best driver's seating of any small-midsize car I know of on the market today. I give it a B+ grade. My 2009 with factory seat, grade F to me. C+ with all the mods.

This 2010 III feels pretty decent in the turns. Much less body roll than a Gen2 non-touring.

I suppose a Gen2 Touring ought to be put up against a 2010 Prius V for comparing.

4. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Traded my '09 G2 for A G3 V,Your right on they are a more premium vehicle!Don't miss my G2 at all!!I think the PKG V is the best car for the money!Heated seats a must for MN!
    LED lights,17" wheels, Leather,Good value!!

5. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My friend replaced the driver seat in his Gen2 with a Recaro. Pretty hilarious to look at, but he says it feels much better than the stock seat.

6. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    this shocks me, either the regular gen2 really sucks or they didnt improve the handeling very much on the gen3.

I'm not impressed at all by the touring handeling but then again ive never drivin the regular version g2

7. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do they compare in noise on the highway? One of my biggest complaints of my Gen II is what I consider to be excessive road noise (which varies tremendously with the type of pavement, from nearly silent to nearly off-road mudder rumble).

8. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It's a little noisy on the highway!!think about the same as my G2.

Better sound system though, like the JBL and the SAT radio!!

I just crank it up! could use a 10" sub!! :nod:

Good times,
    Scott

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow, this is, what, your 3rd rental so far? Isn't it about time that you actually upgrade to the 2010?

10. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Isn't this the best way to evaluate a car? a 15 minute test drive is not enough to determine if the car will fit your needs. By renting it in different conditions and using it like you normally would you will really know if this car fits you and visa versa. I do the same thing when it is time to buy a car.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I know, but three times with nothing but praises for each and every one of these times?

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, but I'm still a big fan of the car.

btw, I tested the Hill Start Assist feature.

13. Feliciasnh

Feliciasnh Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I gotta say. I headed into the dealer the other day all set to buy a Gen III after having previously owned a gen ii and missing it badly. All it took was for me to just sit in the gen III to turn me off from it. What is up with breaking out of the climate controls into a homely LCD display with lots of buttons? And all the extra buttons around the display... The gen ii was so aestheticlly more pleasing (to me, at least!). And the downgraded quality of the screen?? I went and bought a lovely used 09 instead :). To each their own for sure! :)

14. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I own both a G2 and G3. The G3 feels and rides like a bigger car. The new center AC and radio controls are both better and worse. I have the backup camera on the G2 which I really like, but this only comes with a navigation system on the G3 (which I don't have). So it is easier to change radio channels on the G3 since you don't have to get at a touch panel. (many more radio channels are easy to reach, FM1, FM2, SAT/AM main buttons and then each has 6 presets). But I really miss my backup camera. The little tray underneath this center panel is hard to reach, you have to really lean down and dangerously take your eyes off the road. So you need to turn on the heated seats before starting, and don't put anything you need down there. To my feel the G2 is sportier in handling (it feels like a smaller car) and I find it easier to see the front end and sides for judging your position relative to other cars (like when parking). The G3 has more pickup than the G2 and does get better mileage. Both G2 and G3 have some rattles. Both have the small compartment between the seats and this holds about the same amount of stuff. In the G3 the center arm rest has to be slid back to expose a coffee cup, I like the G2 arrangement with two coffee cups visible in the standard position. The G3 has leather seats so it is an upgraded level vs the G2 with cloth, and I like both but heated leather is nice in winter.

15. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2007 Touring Edition handled great, I drove it for 3 years and loved the car. I have a 2010 Prius V and it feels heavier and less an economy car than the 07, but not in anyway that I would deem significant or problematic. Both Prius models are well designed, bullet proof, and highly efficient and practical cars. I would recommend owning either to everyone.

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen2 Prius is a pretty good* car for sure.

* If one happens to fit the driver's seating. I fairly strongly believe the Gen2 was designed for driver's about 5'10" or less. The whole chassis/door pillar location/roof peak was just off base for any chance of accomodating most over 6ft with comfort. That and the weeny little front seats.

The '10 is a jump in, adjust seat / wheel car and it works pretty darn well for this 6'2" dude.

That and the '10 chassis feels more solid, gets several more MPGs, looks a little more buffed.

Comfort, driveability, reliability, safety is important. Too many buttons, etc ... is minutiae.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say that for the 4th Gen Prius, they ought to just have an open console area, something like the upcoming CT200h Lexus, or most other cars, not have a floating bridge console.

18. kremlin

kremlin Prius is a religion, not a car

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I second that. My 4 weeks 2010 Prius does exactly the same -- all of them roll back, I guess on even smaller hills. It is a bummer, but what can we do? :) :)

19. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Are you aware of Hill Start Assist?

Hill Start Assist (P243 in my 2010 manual)

Hill-start assist control helps to prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when starting on incline or slippery slope.
    To engage hill-start assist control, further depress the brake pedal when the vehicle is stopped completely.
    A buzzer will sound once to indicate the system is activated.
    The slip indicator will also start flashing.

Hill-start assist control operating conditions
    The system operates in the following situations:
    • The shift position is in other than “P”.
    • The parking brake is not applied.
    • The accelerator pedal is not depressed.

Hill-start assist control
    While hill-start assist control is operating, the brakes remain automatically applied after the driver releases the brake pedal. The stop lights and the high mounted stoplight turn on.
    Hill-start assist control operates for about 2 seconds after the brake pedal is released.
    If the slip indicator does not flash and the buzzer does not sound when the brake pedal is further depressed, slightly reduce the pressure on the brake pedal (do not allow the vehicle to roll backward) and then firmly depress it again. If the system still does not operate, check that the operating conditions explained above have been met.

Hill-start assist control buzzer
    When hill-start assist control is activated, the buzzer will sound once.
    In the following situations, hill-start assist control will be canceled and the buzzer will sound twice.
    • No attempt is made to drive the vehicle within approximately 2 seconds of releasing the brake pedal.
    • The “P” position switch is pressed.
    • The parking brake is applied.
    • The brake pedal is depressed again.

If the slip indicator comes on...
    It may indicate a malfunction in the system. Contact your Toyota dealer.

CAUTION
    Hill-start assist control
    Do not overly rely on hill-start assist control. Hill-start assist control may not operate effectively on extremely steep inclines or roads covered in ice.
    Unlike the parking brake, hill-start assist control is not intended to hold the vehicle stationary for an extended period of time. Do not attempt to use hill-start assist control to hold the vehicle on an incline for an extended period of time, as doing so may lead to an accident.

20. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not entirely true. I have the backup cam on my rear view mirror. Touring model with no Nav. Maybe it's a Canadian difference.