1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comparison Test: 2009 Toyota Prius vs. 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Edmunds just completed a head-to-head comparison test of the 2009 Prius Touring and the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. I'll go ahead and ruin the climax for you: Edmunds picked the Jetta TDI over the 2009 Prius, saying that "Good fuel economy, above-average comfort and a low price win again."
    For our money and driving pleasure, we choose the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI over the 2009 Toyota Prius Touring. Of course, all that could change in a month or so once we get our hands on a 2010 Toyota Prius which is said to be more powerful, more efficient and up-to-date in terms of infotainment.​
    Comparison Test: 2009 Toyota Prius vs. 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In his Jetta TDI, our opponent, too, was idle, but idling too silently for a 2.0-liter oil-burner whose forbears' aural qualities have been likened to skeletons pleasuring themselves in file cabinets :shocked:

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What a shocker! Anything Edmunds compare to the Prius will win!

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Full house Prius right down to the "Prius" decal on the rear bumper, even a touring model most likely package #6 versus a base model which is well equipped because it has vents to the back seats, it hasn't got climate control but if you have vents to the back seat that is much better, and when I was a kid "leatherette" was a fancy name for vinyl, is that still the case? Then compare the price and make a song and dance about the payback period?

They even mentioned how steering wheel mounted controls will one day be on all cars, like the smart key system, the Golf has neither but no mention of that.

It's good to see an unbiased report for a change, yeah right!

I was expecting to read about the battery only lasting 100,000 miles or less, what a letdown.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, leatherette is basically vinyl. Now there are other names (like MB-Tex or Volvo's T-Tec) material. T-Tec is a cloth-based upholstery.... not sure what type it is but it feels rubbery.

However, MB's new man-made leather (Artico) is actually quite good and feels quite realistic.

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Pretty standard fare for automotive "journalists." I could put shit-on-a-stick on wheels and they would do everything they could to portray it favorably for a few months...until someone produced something new. Then the focus would shift to pumping that up vs. shit-on-a-stick.

Even with a $1300 credit they have to find an overly expensive Prius to test against...which served no purpose since they didn't favor any of the Touring's strengths (relative to a standard Prius) over the TDI, making the whole exercise beyond pointless. But, hey, pretty typical for the underendowed TDI crowd.

8. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wow. Just wow. That's just pure misinformation at its best... It just doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, its a published article and so probably thousands will buy into the false pretension that the prius is an overpriced bloated under performing hybrid.

9. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry but I drove the TDI when the local dealer got one for test drives and pre-orders. The dash feels cheap, all hard plastic. The leatherette I will admit is a step above the vinyl seats in our 1986 Sentra Coupe. The bloated price tag of the Prius is a joke, of course they dont get the fully loaded TDI.
    "While they might lack space, the Jetta's rear-seat passengers will enjoy HVAC vents, comfortable sculpted seats and a two-prong AC electrical outlet to power/charge personal electronics."

Too bad they wont be able to feel their feet and legs but HEY! They'll be cool!!

10. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The Greek "Spartan" slant to the story made this ponderous to read, and I gave up. This is probably the worst-written automotive story, content-aside, I've ever read, and I have read a lot.
    It is an interesting apples-to-oranges comparison, and thanks for including it here, though.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lol... was going to comment on article in their feedback and got confused for a sec... thought i was on PC!! everyone there is from HERE~!!

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I DO like that it can be converted to bio fuel ... though there'll simply never be enough old french fry grease to go around, should too many folks convert (or other sources). I must have gone soft, too, when it comes to the 'drive' thingie ... you know ... hard cornering, etc. Back in the Porsche days, I appreciated it, and now that i'm in geezer-hood (53) I actually like the mush ride factor more akin the Prius. So my ride in the TDI felt too much like I was back in the go kart, as a kid ... rumbly, bumpy ... but I know, I know, that's called 'feeling the road' ... and such. I'm just not there any more.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, read half of it and realized that i was laughing so hard i could no longer comprehend what i was reading...

its too bad that it would take 8½ years to recoup purchase price in gas savings when we dont know what the price of gas will be (i am willing to bet it will be much much much higher than they predicted) but what i do know is that most people will keep their car MUCH longer than 8 years (latest stat was like 42% i think keep their car longer than 6 years, 32% longer than 10 years. but if looking at BRANDS alone, the numbers tell a much much different story with Toyota owners averaging 9 years of ownership overall compared to 5.5 years for the industry average)

obtw, gas just went up another 3 cents in my area. that makes 18 cents in the past 6 weeks... guess its about to stop going up now right??... right?

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny how they uploaded this article after the Prius "lost" to the 2010 Insight too. Oh no... two strikes against the Prius!! haha.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well just out is greenest cars and the CNG Civic won first, our poor ole downtrodden Pri came in a miserable 2nd...

yep, its on its way out for sure... guess the 2010 is arriving just in time... i still predict the 2010 intro to do a repeat as COTY for Motortrend

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll have multiple COTY awards.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's going to be funny watching reactions to a 2010 Prius ....

'that's a Prius? No way ... OMG ... I want one!'

I will have to reserve a little judgement until sitting in one to see how the center console works for or against legroom.

18. wogue

wogue Lexus CT200h

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

there is a mentally less gifted "Car-Testing-Company" in every country claiming the diesel is the better choice.

I´m sick of that crap.

kr
    w.

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to embark on an email campaign.
    I am going to email every car testing magazine or site and ask for a simple change to their test procedure.
    Pay the testers $0.XX per mile driven as a fuel allowance and have the tester pay for all fuel used on the test. If there is money left after the tank is refilled at the end of the test, the tester keeps the change, if he has to pay more than the allowance then that's his tough luck, he will have to tighen the purse strings that week. Lets see how much fun a Lamborghini is when the gas is coming out of the tester's pocket? This will help simulate a real world situation that all car owners must carry, the cost of driving.

I bet that will make the MFD or consumption screen a lot more meaningful and useful. I'd say comparison tests might even become more fun for testers when there is actual money in it for them to drive economically.

20. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I drove a rented VW Golf 2.0 TDI in France a few years for two weeks, and was overall impressed. I didn't have the Prius then, and might have gone for the Golf, if it was available in California. It didn't stink too much, or smoke, and the engine seemed as quiet and responsive as a "real" (gas) one. I think back about our last VW's (lack of) reliability (not a diesel), and how good the Prius has been, and there is no contest. Car testers don't have to live with the cars they test for any length of time. I'll take ANY Toyota over ANY VW, any time.