1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Compass

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by D1CK1E, Mar 22, 2007.

1. D1CK1E

D1CK1E New Member

I'm looking for a good compass to mount in my Prius. I just love it too much to stick a ball compass from Walmart with adhesive on the dash.

Anyone know of a high quality compass or a good online shop to start looking? I want something small to mount either to the dash (left of the MFD) or on the rearview mirror.

Thanks.

Edit: I actually found one that looks pretty good, but does anyone have a better suggestion?
    http://www.thecompassstore.com/krveco.html

2. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

If you want to spend the bucks, the compass built in the rearview mirror does a good job. They run anywhere from $220 to $300, from what I have found.
    I wonder if you could attach the one you found to the little window on the driver's side? It looks like it would stick out far enough if you could program it to "face the right direction"

3. Russell

Russell New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Anyone know of a high quality compass or a good online shop to start looking? I want something small to mount either to the dash (left of the MFD).

Airglide at local auto stores for under $10.00 have served me well in my Camry and Prius. Mounts to left of MFD and I think looks good.

Russ

4. itsme

itsme New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D1CK1E @ Mar 22 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]410271[/snapback]</div>
    I just bought a "Wayfinder" digital compas works great and I stuck it on windshield just right of the rearview mirror. it goes off byitself after ten min. if car is not moving. uses batteries and is very nice not the round globe type but electronic / digital type cost was 7.99 Harbor freight tools on sale.

I will take a pic and post it
    it is the v100 wayfinder you can check on ebay also

[​IMG]

5. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you go the $300 route you would be better off getting a GPS unit that mounts on the dash or windshield. For a couple bucks more you can have bluetooth also. In Calif. I understand it cannot be mounted on the windshield.

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I also have the Wayfinder. Don't like it.

1) The suction cups aren't very strong. The thing keeps falling down.
    2) No backlight, so you can't see anything at night.

I'm very disappointed that the HomeLink mirror that came with the car has everything but a compass.

7. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I have the Wayfinder digital love it never has fallen down and works great I would buy again if needed and price was right.

8. bobc

bobc New Member

From reading the above posts, a car compass may be one of those things that you get what you pay for.

I got the Wayfinder V2020. http://www.thecompassstore.com/v2020.html
    I paid about $70 for it.

I like it because I have it mounted down low below the storage compartment below the radio. I don't need a compass all that often so I wanted one that mounts out of the way and doesn't get thrown off my metallic interference. I also wired it to the front power outlet. So, it comes on automatically and shuts off 10 minutes after the car is turned off.
    I also like that it has a sensor to sense ambient light levels. This turns the backlight on automatically when it's dark. FYI, it only does this when it's hooked up to 12v.

It's also nice to have the interior temp, too.

Due to the non-smooth surface, I did have to use bolts to attach it as the suction cups wouldn't work.

Cheers,

9. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Ya gotta go high tech, at least digital. Can't have a little glass enclosed ball floating and bobing aroung on the dash in a Prius..........., now I'm won't mention my bobble head dog in the rear.... :lol: :lol: