1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Complaint and Used Listing to Sale Ratio of Prius vs another

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cycledrum, Apr 7, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides the stellar fuel economy, reliability so far and practicality, this 3rd gen has been ok at times and peculiarly awkward to just drive at other times. Consumer Reports guy uses the term 'ok' an awful lot in video review and he mentions the limited steering wheel adjustment range which I've shown the effect of a few posts down.

Consumer Reports Video Hub - Cars - Hybrids & Alternative Fuel - Toyota Prius review

anyhoo, I added up the craigslist SFBayArea Prius listings from 2012 back to 2006 and tallied 1,047 listings. Next added up total liftback new sales in US in same period as 1,003 (in thousands, so just over a million).

Prius 1,047 listings / 1,003k new sold = 1.043 ratio

Did same thing for Accord and found 1,471 listings / 2,309k sold = .637 ratio

GOOD CAR BAD CAR and Wiki used for sales, craigslist.org for listings.

Next, googled Prius complaints and found 5,091 complaints for 2012 to 2006 for 5.07 complaint ratio -

Toyota Prius Complaint Scoreboards Listed by model year

then 1,756 complaints for Accord for a 0.76 to 1 complaint ratio

Honda Accord Complaint Scoreboards Listed by model year

So, 50% higher used car listing ratio for Prius and 650% higher complaint ratio. Makes me all warm and fuzzy. :whistle:

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really tired of your passive aggressive criticism of The Prius.
    I can understand having criticism, even coming to the conclusion you don't want a Prius. But what I don't understand is owning a 2009, and eventually a 2011, then making a post every couple of days about how unsatisfied you are about some aspect of Prius ownership.

Really just make a personal decision- but quit complaining.

For someone with the history of owning both generations of Prius, contributing nearly 6,000 posts and receiving upwards of 600 likes....it reduces you commentary to a tiring troll like drone.

And nobody is chained to any vehicle. If you've PERSONALLY tired of Prius ownership.....hum, hum, hum your way to getting something else....contrary to what Toyota would want you to believe there doesn't have to be a Prius for everyone. And given your posts lately? Maybe you're one of those people.

Because if Stellar Fuel Economy, Reliability, and Practicality along with the "fun" of hypermiling or getting great gas mileage doesn't leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling?

Do us all a favor and just move on.

-1- likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've saved myself a lot of research by deciding that I like my car and am planning to keep it.

Maybe I'll conduct a complaint to listing ratio on your posts! :)

cwerdna likes this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't please all the people all of the time.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had the financial luxury of buying another car or new car every couple years, then I would do so. If you're looking for someone to blow sunshine up your hinder parts and only say good things about this Prius, I'm not your guy.

If no one ever said anything bad about Prius or pointed out things that seem to need improvement, how the heck is the car ever going to get better???

You said -

"Because if Stellar Fuel Economy, Reliability, and Practicality along with the "fun" of hypermiling or getting great gas mileage doesn't leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling?"

I say, why does it mostly have to be about these things? Why can't it also be a great car to be in and drive? Why does the $25k to $30k Prius come with a crap box, barely adjustable steering wheel that I have to adjust to because it doesn't adjust to me? And if you say, well, that's just you, there's nothing wrong with it, then you're incorrect as Consumer Reports, Edmunds and others have noted this since 2009. Did Toyota do ANY change of the steering wheel since 2010? NO. They think it's just fine as is despite the negative comments about it. Maybe they will improve it in the next generation, maybe not.

Perhaps you see Prius as more of an appliance, a transportation device to get from point A to B. It's a car, and people including myself like to feel darn good sitting in and driving their car after a long day. Plus the car rattles and the first 3 hour visit to dealership did not fix it.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Complaints don't always correlate with customer loyalty. As an example, Corvette owners may complain the car leaks but they keep replacing the carpeting then buy another Corvette even though they know it leaks. (I believe the leak problem is now corrected.)

I will also suggest that many of the Prius complaints were generated by the media's feeding frenzy.

If it makes you happier, count me as a complainer. My complaint is that my Prius gets disappointing fuel economy because I don't average in the high 50's. In my book that's better than complaining my Ford spontaneously ignites because the cruise control is defective or that my Volkswagen needed an engine inside of 3 years/36000 miles.

8. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)New to the Prius, I enjoy reading most of the post that apply to the Prius Plug In. For some reason, later in life, I decided I wanted a Prius. Joined here two weeks before purchasing. Almost all the post I read were music to my ears. I decided to purchase and haven't been disappointed. My EV ratio is currently 67%, one gas fill up, five weeks ago and it hasn't dropped one bar yet. I must admit, I try to maximize my mileage, both EV or HV mode , and I've had "fun" doing it. My only real disappointment is having to defend the Prius (all of them) from all types of unfair and untrue comments. I realize the Prius in not for everyone, that's why there are plenty of other vehicles available and sold. I consider myself a informed consumer. I did the research and I'm happy with my choice.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My problem is that I know the Prius interior / ergonomic issues before buying the car, then figure it should be good enough for the long haul. Then I get some months in it, this case almost a year and half, then the things wrong to me start biting in.

I could totally drive this car with the seat slid all the way back and lowered all the way or close to it. But the steering wheel in it's best position (down and full scope) then looks like it belongs in another car. The wheel tilts and scope about 1 1/2 inches, that's it. ...

What a missed opportunity for Toyota. They could have spent a bit more on a higher quality steering column.

I think more people will buy this Prius and more importantly stick with it if Toyota will go the extra mile to iron out the details inside the car. Possible global warming, oil wars and pollution moves to the background when I sense the seat and controls are not designed as they ought to be.

Obviously it's time to plan what the next move is going to be since the parts I'm compalining about are not modifiable.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as i recall, mercedes was dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century by lexus. is the shoe on the other foot now?

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Changing topic. Going to post these photos in the 'suggestions for improvement' section, here also ..

This photo is of my seat slid 1 click forward from full back and adjusted almost all the way down, only 5 pumps up on height adjust. See that the seatback angle is very reasonable, no over-reclining or ghetto lean here:

camera 401.jpg

Today I started driving with seat slid all the way back. This photo shows the top of steering wheel coming across my upper palm. My shoulder is against the seatback and arm is straight. Trouble is, I've heard that top of steering wheel is ideally supposed to be at base of palm / wrist area. IOW, the wheel is a bit too far away. Bit tough to steer through without bringing shoulder off seatback. I am not scooting forward to remedy because I can easily reach the pedals with legs; the seat is right where I want it to be. see below.

camera 407.jpg

My right foot easily reaching gas pedal with seat slid fully back. Plenty of bend in knee.

camera 406.jpg

This is how I hold the wheel much of the time and this is the best grip I can get on it. It's tough to reach.

camera 408.jpg

Pic below shows the wheel fully scoped towards driver and tilted down, seat fully back and only 5 pumps up on height. Looking straight down, bottom front edge of the wheel does not overlap front edge of the seat. On top selling cars with great ergos, I've found steering wheel bottom does slightly overlap front edge of seat (of course full scope/tilt down, seat full back), meaning it's closer to driver, more easily within reach. I'd also like to see the wheel itself a few degrees more vertical.

Driving with seat full back made possible because I employ a 1 1/2 inch block of dense foam on the door armrest. I don't have a prayer of using the door armrest without pad or sliding the seat fully back without this 1 1/2 inch block of foam (see 2nd pic):

camera 405.jpg camera 409.jpg

Wish I could just drop into this car and go, no hassle. But it is what it is. I'm not so confident Toyota will work it out due to things I've seen in Camry. Accord and Civic adjust up so well, Ford Fusion seemed very good too. Hopefully Toyota will come around since they build the best hybrids, but I don't have any control over them.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Phht....

Your signature and recent history would suggest you DO have the financial luxury of buying another car or new car every couple of years.

You've had 3 vehicles in 3 years according to it.

But that's beside the point.

Like I said, I'm all for criticism but tired of the passive aggressive approach you seem to apply. The I Love The Prius, followed by a huge litany of things you not only dislike, but that are subjective and you present as "fact".

Many people DO like their Prius, Many People DO enjoy hypermiling, and many people DO prioritize fuel economy and efficiency in their automotive choice.

All I'm saying is make a choice.

With all the things you profess to dislike about the vehicle and owning and operating the vehicle from NOT liking hypermiling, to NOT finding it particularly satisfying to drive, to disliking the ergonomics, whether PERSONALLY true for you or not, I wonder why you continue to own this incarnation of a Prius. You must like complaining about it MORE than doing something about it, or making a change yourself. Nobody is FORCING you to own a vehicle inwhich you are so seemingly dissatisfied.

I'm all for constructive criticism with the aim of improvement. But constant complaining isn't constructive criticism. It's just complaining.

" It's a car, and people including myself like to feel darn good sitting in and driving their car after a long day."-cycledrum

Yeah, and I'd like you to "feel darn good sitting in and driving your car too...but obviously from your near daily complaint posts....you don't.

All I'm suggesting is perhaps "next" time, whenever that might be...you buy a vehicle you actually like and like to drive.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. For those who don't know cycledrum, he's a pretty tall guy. I believe his ergonomic complaints are valid for him and likely for others similar to his size and proportions.

For me, I have no real ergonomic complaints about my Gen 2 Prius, unlike cycledrum's when he had his. The front seats aren't the most comfortable but not horrible either. I'm much shorter than cycledrum. I've test driven Gen 3s a bunch of times but have insufficient seat time to be able to say if it's good/bad from an ergonomic POV.

Despite all this, the Gen 2 Prius had the highest owner satisfaction rating in CR for many years in a row (at least 5). The current gen Prius still has a very high owner satisfaction rating, at least 85%, IIRC.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Of course there aren't exact measurements to follow in interior design, but I would imagine there are norms to get close to. I don't think a 25.25" measurement from brake pedal to steering wheel is only a subjective number, but I suppose you would be inclined to say I have no idea what I'm doing, right? How would you go about comparing seating and controls placement if something seems out of the norm? Or is this something and end user should pay no attention to and just take whatever comes from the manufacturer?

You say, just get another car. I have a 42" x 17" x 14" hardware case weighing over 60 lbs to go somewhere in a car, plus bass drum, and 3 to 4 other drums, cymbal case and couple other small items to transport. I'd like 40 mpg combined in a $25k car that seats a very tall driver very well. Any suggestions?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona