1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Complete loss of power on busy road! 60k GEN3 2010 Prius III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FoxfireFiver, May 24, 2016.

1. FoxfireFiver

FoxfireFiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yikes. Really scary, had my son in the car. Dash read "Check hybrid system". Reading some posts make me think that it may just be the 12V. Had it towed to my house. Anyone know a good mobile mechanic in Austin that specializes in Prii?

**EDIT: this Prius has had the recall software update, btw.... (unless there was a very recent one within the last year)

#1 FoxfireFiver, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! ouch, sorry. might be your inverter coolant pump. please keep us posted. i would take it to toyota to see if it's under warranty.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hybrid system warranted 8 years 100,000 miles in Texas. I would get it into a Toyota dealer...

4. FoxfireFiver

FoxfireFiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, is that a fact? I bought the car used but I know it was bought in Texas by the original owner. I thought the standard warranty was 3 yrs/36k or 5/60k powertrain.

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nope, if it died while driving.

yup.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What hybrid warranty coverage do I have on my Toyota?
    Hybrid-Related Component Coverage
    Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under the Emissions Coverage. Refer to your Owner’s Warranty Information booklet for details.

Basic Coverage

36 months/36,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items).

Powertrain Coverage
    60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel-drive system and rear-wheel drive).

Rust-Through Coverage
    60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal).

Emissions Coverage

Coverages vary under Federal and California regulations. Refer to your Warranty and Maintenance Guide booklet for details.

For complete details about Toyota's warranties, please refer to your Warranty & Maintenance Guide or see your Toyota dealership.

Source: What hybrid warranty coverage do I have on my Toyota?

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow.
    I'm sorry.
    Any type of vehicle failure is scary and dangerous.

When I first started reading, I thought the software update and the related components would be the most likely culprits...but you say you had the update done...so...????

Let us know what is discovered. I'm curious as to what it will be determined was the problem.

8. FoxfireFiver

FoxfireFiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can tell you that I had been meaning to replace the battery myself for some time, and just hadn't found the time. I was planning on putting in an Optima because my mileage never seemed to be better than around 40 mpg and was often averaging 38-39 mpg and I surmised that might be an easy 1st attempt at improving it. From other posts I'd read that people were having some success by replacing their 12v with an Optima. When I bought the car the owner told me they had the software update done after we requested that she do so. I took her at her word (she seemed pretty honest). So told me she had the battery replaced as well. I assuming this was at the dealer, since she also had the software update. In Texas, we tend to use a lot of juice, what with the AC or heater blowing a lot of the time. I also tend to use the aux cable and usb for music a lot. Maybe that 40 mpg was ok. I don't try to be an efficient driver either. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Will have it towed to dealer tomorrow.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not 12v battery failure as stated above.

Probably inverter failure. Should be covered under warranty, but you'll be without your car for several days at least.

Lightning Racer likes this.
  10. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like xliderider says, it's probably an inverter failure. More specifically, the Intelligent Power Module, or the power transistors in the inverter. If it is this, it should be covered by Toyota's 15 year, unlimited mileage warranty enhancement for this known problem. The software update came too late to save the gradually failing part in your vehicle (if this is the problem). Toyota should take care of you.

xliderider likes this.
  11. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My best friend had the same thing happen to his 2011, turns out it was the hybrid battery cooling fan! Very odd, and apparently rare failure. But who knows! I would guess inverter cooling pump or maybe the fan. I Would Have Toyota Check It out

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it failed while running, I would guess...GUESS...it's not the 12 volt battery. As the 12 volt battery is mostly used to simply boot up the system. It shouldn't cause a failure that ceases operation -while operating.

It could be many things. I really think your best move is just full diagnosis.

13. FoxfireFiver

FoxfireFiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Will let the board know what the issue was when I hear from the dealer. Thx for the info and advice everyone!

14. FoxfireFiver

FoxfireFiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update on my catastrophic loss of power while driving 40 mph on a downhill stretch of busy street with no shoulder and my 5 month old son in the backseat:

Got it in to the dealership today and just heard back. The issues and needed replacements include:
    DC to DC converter
    power ECU
    IPM

ETA on repairs was Friday or Sat. of this week. Loaner car available! Although yesterday's event was scary and disappointing, to say the least, I must say I am very pleased with the prompt diagnosis and service given by the dealership (in this case, the dealer is Champion Toyota of S. Austin)

All is covered under warranty!

Still pondering if I am ever going to drive a Prius again after yesterday's episode....

Lightning Racer likes this.
  15. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    and why NOT?, you purchased a used vehicle with out any meaningful history of service and you took a risk.
    You are facing a common problem on the vehicle for improper maintenance for your model year.
    The manufacturer, Toyota Motors is still backing up their vehicles with an superb extended warranty and a car rental for the inconveniences you are going through; lets said, it is not such a bad deal.

16. FoxfireFiver

FoxfireFiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't like the way there was no warning, for one thing. With older, less complicated tech, you could stay on top of issues easier, it seems to me. But I suppose out-of-the-blue, catastrophic failure - that could happen with any car, fair enough. I also have grown not to trust the complexity of hybrid tech and the "black box" nature of the software system, and the idea that the car is hackable by a malicious user. These are all issues I didn't really think about until after I had bought the vehicle.

In addition, I don't like that I can't just easily pop the trunk and check the aux 12v, and that it has a weird tie in with the HV batteries that I still don't entirely understand. I don't like that the Prius has both the aux 12v and HV batteries under my hatch and therefore prone to releasing noxious fumes into the cabin should something go awry with the technology. And after reading up on various failures with the electrical system, I feel like there is also a risk of a fire and hydrogen explosion from the off-gassing of a 12v (again, inside the cabin). I've come to the conclusion I don't like hybrids, and I sure don't like just losing power to my vehicle with my son in the backseat, when 5 seconds earlier everything seemed to be fine. I respect Toyota for attempting to creating something cool, but I think hybrid tech is still in its infancy and I just don't trust it, its that simple.

#16 FoxfireFiver, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  17. FoxfireFiver

FoxfireFiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Failure codes:
    P0A94 and P324E

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Count your blessings. Things could be worse.

1. Toyota is footing the bill for your repair.
    2. Your Prius is not the first car to break down and lose power instantly.
    3. If you really feel that a hybrid is not for you, then you should sell the car and move on.

If it were me, and I were you I would complete the repairs and drive on down the road. I have had three separate instances with three different vehicles that stranded me similarly to your scenario. Total loss of power, on a busy road etc.etc. What did I do. I fixed the car and kept on driving them.

I do understand your frustration, however it won't change the fact that a Prius is a man made object. Nothing man made is perfect, nor will it last forever. With that said, it really won't matter if you drive a Chevy, Ford, Nissan or Toyota. Sooner or later you "could" have a problem.

It is unfortunate that you had the problem you did with your Prius, but again you are not alone. It's not the Prius, but the nature of the beast itself.

I wish you the best of luck. Above all remember that things could be worse, count your blessings for you have many!

19. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    sell it/
    obviously a prius is not the right car for you////

20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, the OP sounds just a regular troll and should be ignored. if the OP felt so strongly and was afraid about the "car is hackable," "hydrogen explosion from the off-gassing," and "hybrid tech is still in its infancy" nonsense, why he/she has purchased the car? time to trade in and purchase a "regular car" that is not "hackable," has no "hydrogen explosion from the off-gassing," and has "mature tech." Good luck finding one.

Lightning Racer and StarCaller like this.