1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Complete overhaul?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pcdave, Sep 3, 2012.

1. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

So had my prius for 6 months now and its last service was about 10k ago according to the previous owner. Now its on 124k miles so im thinking that while I have some cash to get it a complete overhaul and service so I no where its at for the future services does this sound like a decent idea or just asking for trouble. Its on a new aux battery already and recently had the replacement pump thing? under recall.

So im thinking a full service with plugs and so on but to also get the brake fluids done and the CVT fluid and the PCV valve replaced as well as the transaxle fluids.

Sound like a plan or should I just get a full service and save for a rainy day?

2. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i remember replacing my PCV valve at 180,000 km and shook and blew in the old one... there was plenty of life left

if you want to save money you can get a brake fluid tester strips and check to see if the fluid has a high level of water content left

the transaxle fluid (CVT) i'd replace every year... before winter or after winter IMO

coolant you can also use tester strips to check PH level

oil is a no brainer and filters

oh you can check the condition of the water pump belt (left of the engine) see if its cracking (doubt it when i replaced mine at 180k still looked good) and for hoo has i replaced my valve cover gasket just in case.

3. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers bud I think anything to do with the water pumps and belts was down with the recall i think. Will get the local mechanic to use the strips on the brake and and coolant to see if they need done good money saving tip that. CVT replacement is that a big job for the mechanics? don't want to pay Toyota prices if I can get the local guy to do it with the correct fluids. One thing I do want them to check properly is the suspension it groan and clunks ever now and then over bumps but when they did the summer check for everything they claimed it all looked great :S

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think that's WAY overkill. Judging by the UOAs I recall seeing of PSD fluid, it seems the first change ought to be done earlier. IIRC, the amount of junk really dies down in future changes.

I had mine changed a bit past the 5 year mark (Changing Transaxle oil | Page 11 | PriusChat) and a bit past 50K miles. I think I should've had it done a lot sooner (saw UOAs afterward). I don't plan on having it done again for at least another 30-50K miles.

5. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

i have the same problem as you, the first guy (that i did not mention the problem to) wanted to change all my struts and shocks (1k parts/labor) but i decided too expensive

then i had to safety the car (federal law before insuring) along with integrity body safety (because used to be in an accident) passed with flying colors... needless to say i never went to the first mechanic ever again

6. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got a proper quote for the work made me wince. Coollant was done in April when they did the recall work so that was a pleasant surprise and I done the engine and cabin filters as well.

Full service not including coolant change as was just done or cabin filter or air filter £249
    Brake fluid change £39
    CVT Fluid change £109

Couldn't even give me a price for the Valve change and to top it all off they make you call a premium number :p

Got some brake fluid tester strips and would they have replaced the water pump belt when doing the pump recall work as they did they coolant and pumps?

7. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here in the US, the water pump recall is for the electrically driven inverter water pump. Often times I see the mechanically (belt) driven pump leak around the same time the other fails. The belt driven pump is not under recall here. Also, it is easy to replace the inverter water pump without draining the system. I would not be surprised if the dealer did not replace the coolant during a pump replacement.

Avi