1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Complete works of Charles Darwin put online

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Oct 19, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

2. jared2

jared2 New Member

I can't get in. Must be a denial of service attack from the religious right.

3. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 19 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]335196[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got in OK

However, this is NOT what I expected! This site does not have any of the famous "Darwin Awards!"

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 19 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]335174[/snapback]</div> It opened quickly for me, a Mac user. Looks impressive. A vast amount of material.

Not long ago I visited Darwin's house, Downe House in Kent, a few miles to the east of London, but still in a rural village. It's open to the public at certain times. It's an interesting example of an affluent Victorian household. Darwin's office has been preserved. I thought it sad that he suffered badly from a chronic skin disease which caused him to itch badly and in his office there is a sort of tub in which it is said he used to sit in warm water to relieve his itching. It seems astonishing that he wrote all his stuff despite this disease.