1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Completely confused about oil changes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by a-dogg, Jan 6, 2011.

1. a-dogg

a-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I just got a 2011 Prius Four, not IV... And the dealership scheduled my first service for 5,000 miles. But I'm reading on here that 2010/2011 Prii only need an oil change once every 10,000 miles? Is it 5k or 10k?

Thanks!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you will look at your Maintenance Schedule in your manuals, the 5K service (and multiples of 5k) does not include an oil change. It is basically a tire rotation and basic fluid checks.

Toyota extended the oil change from 5k to 10K with the use of 0W20 synthetic oil. They do not want to give up the service visits between the oil changes.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It is 10,000 miles under normal driving conditions and only if you use synthetic 0w20 oil. Normal means not driving on dirt roads etc.

Now some people perform their first oil change before the first 10,000 miles and then all subsequent oil changes at 10,000 miles. It's up to you in the end...

Also note your maint reqd' light will still come on at 5000 mile intervals. This cannot be changed, they want this so you try and come in for mid service visits. Not worth it, but that's me. 10k is fine using the synthetic oil.

4. markf57

markf57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since the visits are covered under the 2 year free maintenance, I see no reason not to go in every 5k.

Thanks,

Mark

5. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Stick to the "Required Maintenance Schedule" by Toyota, not the "Recommended Maintenance Schedule" by the Toyota dealer. Dealer will love to see you coming in every month but when warranty claims are involved, car manufacturers always find excuses not to warrant their services. The most common excuse is "The owner did not follow the required maintenance schedule as required by the car manufacturer and hence causing the damage".
    With the precise engineering in making modern engines, first oil change at 5000m is a waste of money and unfriendly to the environment, not to mention a waste of the time. I did not do it and the car runs fine.
    Again, check your Prius maintenance handbook for the "Required" interval. Unlike in US, Toyota Canada has not revised the oil change schedule even though 0W20 synthetic is used.

1 person likes this.
  6. a-dogg

a-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, guys -- very informative.

7. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What in the world are you saying - it is common for dealers to deny warranty service due to ??? Please site *anything* you have to support this - as it is plain silly.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The now closed Beacon Chevy/Olds in Hightstown NJ told me I should take the car elsewhere for warranty work. I can only speculate why they didn't want to touch the car. The standard reply from Lenihan Olds in Marlton NJ (also now closed) where I bought the car was "can't reproduce the problem" or "that's normal".

The fact is that warranty work doesn't pay as either the amount of time to complete the task is understated and/or the labor rate is lower.

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    JD, (Reminder) Not all 2011 manuals reflect this change. I'm sure this is because of Toyota's mid-season change to 10K intervals. For example, my manual still shows 5K intervals, but of course I'm doing 10K's since we're using synthetics.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think what he meant to say is if you don't follow the manufacturer recommend maintenance intervals, there is the possibility of warranty claims being denied. You always have the option of performing maintenance more frequently for peace of mind.

FYI reminder for others; you don't have to use a Toyota dealership for maintenance. You can DIY or use another mechanic or service provider as long as you have records/receipts of the maintenance being done. If you need warranty work completed, you should have these on hand in case they ask you to verify proper maintenance was done.

11. donaldhall

donaldhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I also just took delivery of a new 2010, my dealer wanted to set up my first visit at 5000 miles also but informed it was just for a quick overall check and tire rotation only. Also the sales person informed me they would set the reverse beep in any mode I wanted no charge.
    nice

12. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From experience, get in there ASAP before the salesperson is fired or quits! BTW, I'm rotating tires every 20K.

Happy Motoring,

Tom