1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Completing my research for fog lights. 3000k, but which type.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Branndon, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Branndon

Branndon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have searched this site and read dozens of threads over the last week or so. I have narrowed it down to 3000k fog lights. I really don't like the yellow look (yet) but I live at over 6000 feet elevation. Snow and fog is becoming common place and I've read that 3000k is best for that.

But what I do not know is a good brand of bulb to get. I like to buy quality parts, but not overspend. What I need to know is if just a bulb swap is all I need, or do I need some sort of box to power them.

I am rather mechanical but fogs are new to me.

Also I have free shipping from Amazon on most things, so I'd be inclined to go there.

Please let me know who makes the best bulbs, weather or not I need 55 watt, or if 35 watt will work. I've read that 55 watt can get hot or melt wires? I have to drive 15 miles up a curvy mountain roads, and the stock fogs don't really do anything for me.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2500k Nokya Hyper Yellow Bulbs 55kw Stage 1. 55kw will not melt your wires, they are stock output. Direct swap, no kit required. $15 eBay, I haven't needed a replacement yet. I'm confident they'll outlast my HIDs.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What mac master didn't tell you is that 35W HID lights will be 3x brighter than those nyokia hyper yellow bulbs.

Trust me I wouldn't chance a 55 W HID kit for those fog lights. Space is already limited as it is (55W Bulbs are a full cm longer than 35W bulbs). You need a ballast to ignite the Xenon.

Since you want quality I'd look into these. Volt Digital HID Kits

They are nice :) I can feel their quality and have experienced them. I have two kits from them, 6000k, 3000k

They give you everything you need to mount them, Zip ties, and 3M Pads plus a relay kit(which you don't really need)

1 person likes this.
  4. Branndon

Branndon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Guys!

MacMaster, I've read on here that Nokya are cheap, but at that price, they are easily replaceable.

Cloud, These wouldn't replace my stock fog lights? I ask because you mention zip ties and other things to mount them. Would these just swap out for my current ones? I think the HID bulbs require an additional box, that's fine, but I want to know these things before I buy them. The price is ok, I was thinking around $100 or so. Have you experienced different color temps in fog? Does yellow make a huge difference to you?

5. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The HID kit replaces the stock bulbs. Google Image Result for http://www.xenonlink.com/images/vision.jpg

As you can see, those bulbs go into the original fog light housings. Then at the end of it you have to hook up a ballast which coverts the 12V to 20,000 volts to ignite the xenon. The Ballast... or what you call "the box" should be mounted somewhere close to the light in a secure place.

Everything is plug and play. No modifications required.

1 person likes this.
  6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah they're cheap, but they are a definite upgrade over the OEM bulbs. I dont even know what color the OEMs are. Custard? In terms of quality and longevity, I think Nokya has gotten a lot better over the years. Back in the 90s, kids were putting Nokyas on their Hondas that were way too hot, and they burnt out in months. Now, Nokya complies with OEM specs, but still outputs the desired JDM 2500k color.

Anyways, go with the HID fog kit if you feel comfortable doing so. That's a real upgrade. You will be able to achieve the Lexus JDM look.

1 person likes this.
  7. Branndon

Branndon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Guys!

Cloud, thanks for the more detailed info. I don't know what the Lexus JDM looks like, but I've never been one to care how my vehicle looks to others (Hence why I own a Prius, lol). It might give me an idea of what to expect if I did know though, thanks again.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fog lights on the 1st gen Lexus IS and GS models were bright HID yellow temperature. They almost had a green hue to it. It was cool because it came like this from the factory. Unfortunately not many people bought the IS 300 because it was targeted for the younger crowd but too expensive. It's my 2nd favorite car behind the Prius.

Here is the IS300:

[​IMG]

9. Branndon

Branndon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I would purchase the H4 kit here then? 3000K Volt HID Digital

Since no one replied, I ordered the h4 kit. This was a mistake because h4 is the low beams. Someone from the website order department called me and informed me about that and changed the order to the 9006 kit before shipping.

Great service. The kit you need to order from here is the: VDP-3K-9006

10. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. gigabyte

gigabyte Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 i've been using ddm hid kits for years. i have their 3k kit in my prius fogs.

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't hurt that the IS (the Toyota Altezza) was powered by a 2JZ-GE engine, basically the same one found in the NA Supras. A large number of people have dropped in a turbo and to get to 450hp, although the internals are admittedly weaker than the Supra's 2JZ-GTE.

While most people have had good luck with the DDM kits, some people have had issues:
    DDM Tuning HID success/failure rates? - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

13. jeffsf

jeffsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

+1. Cheap and good! Quality is similar to all other Taiwan/China-made HID kits, but they have a great warranty that you can use or abuse.

I have a 3000k ddm set coming for the fogs. Also slapped some yellow Lamin-X covers on the fogs. I'm getting the slim ballasts for easy mounting with double sided tape.

I'll throw up pics to help other owners decide. (and yes, this is my first post, guys.)

Greetings from San Francisco!

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The lamin x covers will burn with HIDs. I'm almost certain. One way you can prevent this is by leaving a 1 or 2 mm gap on the outer edge of the film. It gives the heat a chance to dissipate off the glass.

Lamin x can cut it this way by request. It's probably too late for you since it's already applied to your fogs, but in case it happens you're covered under laminxs warannty anyway

15. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That's a rumor. Think about it, HID kits are 35 watts. They are more efficient than stock 55 watt halogens. I took heat gun temps of the HID kits in my car and they do not exceed the temperatures of the stock bulbs.

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    oh ok I didn't know the hids were less. 55w will burn it, 35w maybe not.

like I said it doesn't matter , lamin x takes good care of u

17. jeffsf

jeffsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah, to further add value to Lamin-X-ing your fogs or headlamps, they also have free holiday shipping right now, so it was cheap and quick to get immediate enhancement to your Prius's front end. Plus, they even look good without the lights on! Honestly, I initially got them to protect my fog lens, and not for the tinting, but opted yellow anyway!

I promise I'm not employed by or affiliated in any way with Lamin-X. :)

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thx I might order some

19. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lamin-x burned twice with my 2500k hyper yellow fogs. I'll probably take it off at this point.

20. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe those bulbs can get pretty hot. It would probably work out better with HID setup

iPhone ?