1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comprehensive after market Nav/ Radio thread?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MikeR5, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trying to read all I can about the different units. Is it possible to make a comparison thread or chart? Reading all about the Rosen on all the many different threads which seems ot be the popular one- is that the clear winner? So hard to tell especially when some of the threads complain about updates but they are dated early 2010.

Does Rosen still seem to be the best choice? Are there others? Is it possible to do a catch all comparison here? Or is it better to search all the old threads?

I'm looking for bluetooth phone integration as well as streaming stereo, usb in, ipod and or droid being able to be used from steering wheel controls of a II, nav, backup camera, Sirius.

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's no comprehensive review.

You just have to search for each unit you are thinking about getting.

Most here have gone with a top o line Pioneer or Kenwood and lately Sony. There's also Rosen/Fly Audion - or random Chinese (best bargain at around $250 delivered with full GPS that can run different software like TomTom iGo etc).

You just need to search and read...

3. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks- been doing it for a week on here- its a little dizzying to figure out what works with a II what doesn't- which is best which are old reviews that aren't relevant anymore- etc. But I'll keep reading.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    MikeR5,

Read and ask lots of questions. This forum is invaluable to Prius owners, with many informative and friendly people. Decide what features "you want" and have a realistic budget. Crutchfield.com has a good variety of current products with very good educational information. Go to Audio/Electronics Retailers and Installers with displays, so you can touch, see and listen. Don't forget to double check the manufacture web sites for specs. before final decision. Most of all, take your time and do it correctly.

Good Luck. :cool:

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm one of several people here with a Rosen who is satisfied with it, but keep in mind that part of the reason a Rosen is popular here is because it's popular here.:D

Once a few install a brand and give good reports, others (like me) tend to follow.

6. Judas Prius

Judas Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MikeR5- I've been reading here for several months trying to figure out which head unit I want. I've pretty much made up my mind that it will be a Kenwood. I'm really going for overall sound quality. I want something louder, and a lot more clear than what the stock head unit sounds like. With the windows rolled down an in or two on the freeway, the stock stereo isn't even loud when the volume is at max.

The top car audio installer where I am, Columbus Car Audio, markets Kenwood and Pioneer, so it will be either one.

I think I fulfill the dream of getting it done by coming here every day and seeing if there's anything new posted by members. I'll certainly post mine when I get it done.

I missed the Kenwood rebate deadline for 7/31.... which would have a been a great time to get it done. I'm a procrastinator... and always searching for the best deal. So I guess I'll have to wait until another deal comes along!

Good luck with your search.

7. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The correct decision is dependent also on geo location. Some 2-din HUs are priced differently in US, EU, AUS, Japan. OEM like fitting is also limited by RHD. LHD version our Priis.
    My favorite one was a CASKA unit CA3692 bundled together with their IPA system. It was displayed in start of 2010, but nothing available until now in EU. In USA the CASKA company is the supplier for Flyaudio/Rosen HUs, IMHO.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The FCC approval number on my Rosen lists Coagent in the FCC database of type approvals. Coagent makes Caska, so you are correct about Caska and Rosen having a connection.

There used to be an article on the Coagent website about a meeting between US Rosen folk and Coagent setting up agreements but that is gone now.

9. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which Kenwood? Is that a radio or a nav/ bluetooth unit as well?

Awesome name BTW!

10. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! The Rosen does seem great from everything I've read. Don't even care much about the nav- just really want bluetooth, usb, back up cam, maybe Sirius