1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Compressor mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by KMO, Nov 15, 2005.

1. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello folks. I've just been reading the repair manuals, and was having a closer look at the dealer-customisable parameters. Has anyone gotten their dealer to change the COMPRESSOR MODE setting to MANUAL?

I'm tempted to get them to do this, as I'm annoyed with the system enabling the A/C compressor when I press the steering wheel AUTO button, but I want to check what I'd be asking for.

In detail, the current transitions with the AUTO button are:

AUTO (with A/C) -> OFF -> AUTO (with A/C)
    or
    AUTO (without A/C) -> AUTO (with A/C) -> OFF -> AUTO (with A/C)

The behaviour I'm looking for from the AUTO button is:

AUTO (with A/C) -> OFF -> AUTO (with A/C)
    or
    AUTO (without A/C) -> OFF -> AUTO (without A/C)

Is that what the MANUAL mode gives you?

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to bump this once. Surely someone out there must have gotten their dealer to do this? What about any of the other customisations?

Another question - how permanent are the customisation settings? Are they lost if the 12V battery is disconnected?

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I tried to have my dealer turn on passive mode for the alarm. They obviously didn't know what they were doing, as they claimed it took 2 hours to do it.
    I hated it, but fortunately I found a dance so I could put it back to active mode.

Before you ask, there is no such dance for what you're asking though.

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I take it that means the settings aren't lost when the battery is disconnected?

I only ask because it would no doubt be a hassle to get the dealer to understand what I want them to do, and there's no point if it gets lost the next time some service monkey (or I) disconnects the battery.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I understand that some defaults, like the reverse beep, comes back on when the battery has been disconected.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    KMO- when my husband brought home a scantool for a job he was doing over a weekend, we played around with that setting for the exact reason you want to change it.

unfortunately, no it doesn't do what we had hoped. what it does is uses the a/c compressor to dehumidify the air that it uses to defrost the windows- or something like that.

after changing the setting, i was immensely disappointed to find that it still turns on auto a/c when turning off the defroster with the steering wheel. :( so we changed it back.

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Galaxee,

Are you sure? According to my (UK/Australia) manual, there's a separate setting "COMPRS/DEF OPER" that sounds like what you're describing: "Function to turn the A/C ON automatically linking with the FRONT DEF button when the A/C is OFF".

The "COMPRESSOR MODE" says "Function to turn the A/C ON automatically by pressing the AUTO button when the blower is ON and the A/C is OFF".

Maybe I'll ask on Yahoo Prius_Technical_Stuff - some folks on there might have scantools they can experiment with.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

KMO is right about there being 2 different options. At least we in the NA have the same option in our documentation.

Galaxy, take a look at page 5-1266 (1430) and see what we are referring to.

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI,

I've had a reply from someone on Yahoo Prius_Technical_Stuff that turning COMPRESSOR MODE off does do what I want - it remembers the "A/C" state from when the climate control was last on. He describes it as effectively becoming an independent setting that the AUTO button doesn't touch.

I'm still not clear on the battery disconnection though.