1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Computer crash

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rick57, Dec 3, 2005.

1. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well,I finally made it back. About 2 weeks ago my laptop,2000 model Sony Viao, crashed.I normally do my evening surfing in the living room while watching TV with my wife. When I went to start it up that night,as it finished loading,it showed a warning that a registry file was not loaded(or something like that).It said that Windows Registry Troubleshooter could repair it,so I clicked OK. Never had that come up before so WTH,I thought. After it finished,I was instructed to Restart,so I did. But when it came back up,it was like when I bought it a few years ago(used off eBay)and I had wiped the hard drive and reloaded the programs from the Rescue Discs. All my PDF files wouldn't open, MS Money was gone(year and a half of personal finances), Excel files wouldn't open except by opening Excel first(then open the file),firewall & virus programs not there along with anything else I had loaded since then. Now what! So I saved the PDF,Excel and Word files to a floppy(took a few times),transfering them to my desktop. Then back to the Rescue Discs to reformat the hard drive and start all over again. Then reload all the programs I had(I wrote them down before formatting). Finally I am back to normal,though I did loose most of my Fav sites.Still remembering them as the days go by and resaving them.Luckily I had balanced my checkbook the weekend before and backed it up to a floppy like I always do. Just hope that doesn't happen again for a long while. What a pain in the A@#, :angry: .

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well that doesn't soun like much fun at all. I know exactly what you're talking about with all the Money files. I lost a few months' worth of data and had to type it back in. Only a few months but still a PITA.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

I always hated backing up my data files because it was such a laborious and slow process using floppies. USB flash drives are a great solution, IMHO. Now, I'm infinitely more diligent in backing up my files.

If you have USB on your computer, a flash drive is an excellent investment.

4. benighted

benighted New Member

Classic windows rot. I switched most of my PC's to linux for this reason alone.

5. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

It's well worth it to save all your files on a drive other than the system drive. That's tough in a laptop. So you might consider making a partition on the drive and saving files you create there. I have double redundancy. I relocate MyDocuments to another drive and every once in a while also use an external USB drive for a back up. That way I have everything in 2 drives and can take the backup drive home. I also use backup software that only copies files that have been modified or new since the last backup. I still have web sites I made back in 1997.