1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Computer Problems

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JimN, Oct 24, 2007.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The ATI Radeon X800 (M28) in my 2.5 year old Alienware Area-51M 7700 laptop died. ATI, Nvidia, and Sager weren't able to help. I haven't been able to find a part on eBay or through a local computer store. The only thing Alienware is willing to do is have me send the computer to them and for a total of some $975 install a motherboard & video card.

If anyone has any leads on a compatible part please send me a PM. I'll be away until Monday but appreciate any help.

2. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I hate to say this but you maybe SOL. Alienware was bought by Dell about a year and a half ago (03-22-06). Also if I am not mistaken the video card is part of the motherboard and not an add-on.

I hate to say this but you maybe SOL. Alienware was bought by Dell about a year and a half ago (03-22-06). Also if I am not mistaken the video card is part of the motherboard and not an add-on.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about the model you have but most of the newer laptops with graphics chips of high end ATI or Nvidia usually have a separate card. I know my 7 year old Dell laptop has an old Gforce 2 Go card that can be replace if you can find them. I would most likely invest in a new laptop instead of trying to find the right card. Those things can be hard to find and expensive.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Oct 24 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]529799[/snapback]</div>
    JimN:
    Alienware has a trade-in program for $200. Just in case you are thinking about getting rid of it and buy another
    Alienware laptop.

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. Submarine Dude

Submarine Dude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Oct 24 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]529799[/snapback]</div>

Most laptop video is on the motherboard and not separately replaceable (Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 had a separate card, available only from Toshiba). If it's the case that the video has actually failed you'd be farther ahead to get the hard drive imaged and get a new laptop.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you all for the responses.

Remove 4 screws on the bottom of the case & 4 screws on the heat sink and the video card pulls right out. Contact is made through 2 white pin connectors. Although standard formfactors have been applied to hard drives and RAM it doesn't apply to video cards.

If I decide to scrap the unit I should be able to get more than $200 for the parts.

Maybe buying another unit and combining parts is a viable option. I appreciate the alternate viewpoint.