1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Computer Reported Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mkiefer83, Apr 17, 2007.

1. mkiefer83

mkiefer83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just picked up my 2007 Driftwood Pearl Prius on Saturday and I'm loving it so far. In the past two days going to and from work (all surface streets and traffic), I've managed about 50MPG according to the Prius trip computer.

Is this mileage pretty accurate or should I just hook up my ScanGaugeII and monitor my mileage that way?

Admittedly, I didn't search before asking this, which I probably should have done, but thanks for the all the help in any case.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are lots of good reasons for you to hook up your ScanGauge II, but the reported MPG is pretty accurate. You'll notice differences b/w what the display shows and individual tank calculations, but this is due more to errors related to what level the tank was filled to (thanks to the expandable bladder) and inaccuracies and variences in the individual fuel pumps.

People have reported up to 2% longterm differences in calculated mileage and computer reported mileage, but most find it to be less than 1% over the long term.

But do hook up the Scan Gauge if you have it...you'll learn a lot...be sure to use the "Hybrid" setting.

3. mkiefer83

mkiefer83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds good... Thanks for all the info. I was wondering what kind of setting I was going to need to use because I had originally bought the ScanGauge for my Scion tC.

One thing is for sure, I'm definitely enjoying the 2x+ increase in gas mileage.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kiefer @ Apr 17 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]424756[/snapback]</div>
    The MFD's calculations are close enough for government work. I prefer keeping my own log.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, Kiefer. You're getting great MPG right off the bat. Don't be disappointed if your second tank isn't as good. You'll find lots of threads on fuel economy and many people experience a worse second tank and get either worried or discouraged. We're beginning to get into warmer weather (I hope) which is good for MPG, but each tank will fluctuate along with your driving conditions and experience.

Have fun driving!