1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Computer went dead on start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by erosen, Nov 25, 2006.

1. erosen

erosen New Member

What a disapointment. I buy my 2007 Prius a week ago. This morning I try to start the car and it does not. The screen goes dark. I then try again and again, until I get the car going. But it has taken a few tries. This has happened 3 times today. I absolutely does not feel like of battery problem, more a glitch in the electronics. So tomorrow, I am going back to the dealer. Any guesses on what may the problem be? Erwin

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12V battery. Maybe you left something on..
    _H*

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're probably not pressing the brake pedal down firmly enough. Also, be sure to just press the Start button once briefly but fully and release...a quick double tap can do weird things and not pressing the brake will put you into Acc mode.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erwin @ Nov 25 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]353910[/snapback]</div>
    Can you elaborate as to exactly what you do, and exactly what you observe?
    For example, are you saying the display and dash lights up, but then shuts down? How long from when it comes on (if at all) to when it goes dark? Do you ever see the READY indication in the combo meter?
    If it doesn't come on at all, and you see the yellow key symbol flash at you, it isn't sensing the fob. See if the problem continues with the fob in the slot. Be sure you don't have any electronic devices very close to the fob, such as a cell phone. Metal objects too near the fob may also cause issues with SKS.

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 25 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]353944[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't sound like that... even if he wasn't pressing it down firmly enough, the screen should still come up and go into ACC mode, right?

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erwin @ Nov 25 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]353910[/snapback]</div>
    In addition to what everyone else said regarding start up procedure and asking for more information, i wanted to reinforce what hobbit said - it could be a (12V)battery problem. The Prius is much, much different than normal cars. In a normal car, you turn the key and feel/hear the engine come to life. If there's a battery problem, you hear it crank or click, or otherwise have audible problems starting up.

the Prius, on the other hand, does none of that. the 12V battery boots the computers and closes the relays for the HV battery, and then it's pretty much done. it doesn't rev the engine or start any thing under the hood. Instead, the HV battery is used to spin the electric motor, which is then used to spin up the engine, which is then ignited when it's up "at speed" All that doesn't happen for 8 seconds though. If you listen carefully when you start the car, you can hear the relays clicking for the HV battery when you start, but thats really about it.