1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Computer's a lot quieter now

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 15, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll still be glad when the iMac comes and I can give away this POS computer, but I've made some real improvements.

Sometimes I wake up at night and cannot get back to sleep, so I've been messing around with this thing. First I disabled Norton GoBack. Please note that I never intentionally installed it in the first place. I upgraded Norton A-V and SystemWorks came with it which (yes, I'm naive about computer stuff!) seemed like a good idea, and GoBack was a part of that, and I simply didn't know what it was.

Basically, GoBack spends most of the time the computer is on, writing to the HD, apparently creating a continuous back-up of sorts, allowing you to go back to the way it was at some time in the past. Thus it slows everything down. It took about five minutes to shut it off, because it erased all its files. The fact that it took so long just to erase its own files shows how much stuff it had been writing to disk. Note, also, that I was not uninstalling it. I was just turning it off. So it was not deleting its program files from the HD, only its data files. Maybe I'd uninstall it, but in a few days I'll be wiping this computer anyway.

The next thing I did was to change Windows User Mode Driver Framework from Automatic to Manual in services.msc, on the advice of several posters to a board that turned up in a google search. This kind of stuff can be risky, but this computer is destined for a clean install and donation to a worthy cause, so I'm willing to take chances. YMMV and caveat emptor!!!

It may be too early to say, but I think this stopped the computer from blinking at me.

Come on, Apple, send me my iMac NOW!!!