1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Concern about color and paint

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Voidvoice, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Voidvoice

Voidvoice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi. I am shopping for a prius and really like to get a spectra blue. However, after reading many threads about dark color will show scatches and dent easiry and how thin prius paint is. Am I worry too much? Is it a specific issue of prius?

It makes me think about getting the silver. This is a tough decision, getting a silver is easy , getting a spectra blue takes weeks.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's a personal choice. I have black, which is the worst color for scratches, dust, and dirt. As much as I like it, my Prius is just a car, and will eventually have lots of scratches and dings. I keep it clean and wax it once in a while. I wouldn't worry too much. Ask yourself which color will make you more happy, and then get that one.

Tom

3. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have sliver. It looks sharp and clean even when it is dirty. Except for the numerous hood scratches, and scrapes to the primer after only 750 miles. The problem is the primer. Maybe a professional painter can answer this. Why do cars with light colors have black primer and vice versa? I am sure there is more reason to this than just to tick me off. We can send a man to the moon and build a hybrid but sorry your stuck with dark primer for light colored vehicles. (Sorry had to Vent)

In what I have witnessed, heard, and read I came to conclusion that the paint on Prius SUCKS! So get what ever color floats your boat. Just get some hood protection and forgetaboutit.

Good luck

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My silver has spent every workday for four years sitting in the open and it looks great. The road dings (confined almost entirely to the hood) are inconspicuous.

5. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Voidvoice,

Order what color you like and use Toyota touchup paint and toothpicks for the dings and chips that show the primer below. In my case, I just ordered and received my Driftwood Pearl Touring several weeks ago and specifically ordered that color for the following reasons:

1. I like the color.
    2. Doesn't show dirt and grim like darker paint colors do (Black & Spectra
    Blue)
    3. Being a light color, it won't absorb radiant sun heat during the summer
    as bad as Black or Spectra Blue will. Summer time in Oklahoma,
    especially July and August, are pretty hot!!!!
    4. The white primer below the tan paint will not shine or contrast as
    much when the topcoat chips away to expose the primer. This must
    be a real headache to those who have dark topcoat Prii. But,
    you can always get a bra or some touchup paint to help the bug/
    gravel ding and paint issues.

Order what you want and makes you happy and deal with the chip/ding/cleanliness issues as best you can.

6. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am kind of in the same boat ... trying to decide b/t black and white. Black will make this un-sporty car look as sporty as it can (which isn't very) and I've ALWAYS had and enjoyed black cars, however I am thinking Super White might be a nice change of pace and look good with dark tinted windows. I am getting tired of seeing every little nick and scratch on my black car now. Still, when it's clean you can't beat the look!