1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Concerns after test-drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ggalanti, Nov 17, 2004.

1. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

I FINALLY found a dealer who had a Prius I could test-drive. I have a few concerns and I would love some feedback from 2005 model owners.

1) The main screen was very hard to read due to all the sunlight coming into the car at noon. Is that a problem for drivers?

2) The visibility out the rear window was very poor. I'm used to a large, unobstructed rear window with my Camry. Do people feel unsafe with the 2005 rear window?

3) The is a picky point, but my right leg was uncomfortable, given the angle at which the seat hit my leg with my foot on the gas. (FYI, I'm 5'5"). Does anyone else have this problem, or am I the princess & the pea? I'm wondering if some kind of seat cushion would help. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I FINALLY found a dealer who had a Prius I could test-drive. I have a few concerns and I would love some feedback from 2005 model owners.

1) No, BUT... any LCD is impossible to read in direct sunlight. You don't really watch that screen anyway, even with the NAV package because the car will talk to you.

2) I thought the exact same thing on my test drive, but you get used to it within minutes and come to appreciate the spoiler at night as it tends to block the bright headlights of the guys behind you.

3) Can't address that one. I'm 6' 1" and the seats feel fine even on 10 hour long drives

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I agree with Bruce on all points.

After a while, you lose track of the display and don't even notice when there's sun glare. Or you can get the display hood.

I don't consider my view out the back obstructed. My wife is about your height and she hasn't mentioned anything. Also, the spoiler actually blocks highlights from the cars behind you. I would tend to think that it was accidental, but it's really nice when you're sitting in nighttime traffic and you don't have the rear-view mirror glaring in your eyes.

Sometimes I feel a little cramped with the pedals and the steering wheel and the seat position. Yes, it's true. Other days, though, with the exact same settings I feel as though it fits me like a glove. I can't explain that one. I can say that you get used to it, but sometimes, that's a lame response.

5. Marg

Marg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggalanti\";p=\"51135)</div>
    1) It's rarely a problem. I wouldn't say never, but very rare.
    2) At first I hated that bar across the back, but now I love it. As Tony says, it blocks the headlights from other cars at night.
    3) I'm 5'3" . In our old car, I used to have the seat pulled up close to the steering wheel. When I tried the same thing in the Prius, my gas-pedal foot and leg hurt. I'm not sure whether it was the angle of the foot that caused the problem, or whether my desire to control the pedal with a light touch created leg tension, but whatever the cause, it was no fun. So I tried experimenting with the seat position and things improved. I now sit with the seat rather far back. My arms are not quite as straight as Magnum PI's when he drives his Ferrari, but pretty close.

6. jchu

jchu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marg\";p=\"51153)</div>
    Remember too that you don't want to sit too close to the steering wheel in case the airbag deploys.

7. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I agree with all that's been said. The rear window does take some getting used to.

I'm also 5'5" and try not to sit too close to the wheel, otherwise I do feel some discomfort. Take another test drive and try a different seating position. At the very least it's a good excuse to drive a Prius again. :)

8. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

A dealer near my house is going to call me for a test drive when he gets a car in. But it sounds like the seat is no longer a problem for you. Is that right?

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggalanti\";p=\"51209)</div>
    I found the seat to be my biggest, by far, complaint. I didn't have adequate thigh support and either had my leg cocked in a funny, knee twisting, position or had to hold my leg up with part of my thigh 'suspended' above the seat which becomes fatiguing after a while.

If you search around you'll find an old thread (search "perfect seat cushion") where i found a foam lumbar support that I'm, instead, using as a substitute seat bottom with the thick end toward the front of the seat for added thigh support. So far it's worked great (about 10 months) and trips up to 3 hours I've had no discomfort.

10. babesp

babesp New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    I will only address the seat concern as I agree with the previous posts on your other questions! I am 5'4' and for the first 2 weeks I hated the drivers seat and always ended up with a kink in my neck / shoulders after driving. I also felt like the seat was too short to support my legs. I tried a cushion (did not work) and thenI kept adjusting the seat and am now comfortable for long drives (other than the flat butt syndrome that you always get when sitting for a long time). I have put 15000+ miles on since June and sometimes drive as much as 10 - 13 hours at a time with only a brief break(s). I would not hesitate to recommend the Prius to you - you will find the right position and become sleeping (driving?) beauty rather than princess and the pea. Enjoy :mrgreen:

11. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget to try the tilt steering in different(lower) positions, it may allow you to feel more comfortable with the seat pushed back further.

12. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

13. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"51145)</div>
    At least for me, it is in the exact right position to block SUV and large pickup truck headlights. :)

14. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Nope. The seat is no longer an issue.
    I almost forgot about being able to adjust the steering wheel. I struggled with that the first day or two after picking up my car. Finally I found the perfect setting and haven't moved it since. On your next test drive take some time and play with both the seat and steering wheel settings. You'll find the perfect fit, I promise. By the way, I love the princess and the pea story! :)

15. canuckican

canuckican New Member

Before I got my Prius, my very first-ever post to PriusChat was right after my test drive and I too was concerned about point #2: visibility out the back. I was used to a lot more viewing area out of the back of my Nissan Maxima (not too dissimilar from your Camry). I was concerned before placing the order.

I can definitively say that this is NOT an issue, after driving the car for only three months. I became acquainted with the veiw out the back very quickly, and now have no issues with it. Do NOT let this stop you from getting on a list - this is not a deal-breaker concern. You will get used to it.

Keep test driving if you're not happy. As recommended, try many different configurations. I didn't have the seat problems you and others talk about, but being comfortable in your own car is a high priority.

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggalanti\";p=\"51135)</div>
    If you drive one or just a few different cars all of the time, I can see how this would bother you. I drive a lot of different cars so I have some insight into how rear visibility in the Prius compares to other cars.

Rear visibility in the Prius is worse than most cars. Other cars that I can think of that have poor rear visibility are the Dodge Intrepid and Ford Taurus (both have ended production), and the Prius is not as bad as either of them.

The Prius is nowhere near as bad as in many of the cross-over (car-based) SUVs I have driven. Infiniti FX-35, Lexus RX330, and Nissan Murano all have far worse visibility to the rear than the Prius (especially the Nissan and Infiniti). Those vehicles I would have to spend some time with to get used to the reduced visibility. I don't know if I could ever get used to the Murano. It took me no time to adjust to the Prius, and I don't find that it presents a safety problem to me.

17. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Intrpid and Taurus have ended production????

18. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    I would have liked a foot rest for the right foot, for those times when the cruise control is in use. I tend to tuck the leg back rather than hover over the accelerator as there is nowhere to put the foot.

Other than that, a bit more adjustment of the seat would be nice. The rear window is fine and you get use to the bar.

The reflection on the screen doesnt happen often, but beware if you use sun glasses that polerising lenses will black out the screen. I am getting a pair of non-polerised for next summer.

19. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(victor\";p=\"51358)</div>
    I ran into that one when I rented. If anyone knows a source for non-polarized clip-ons, PM me please, I can't find any locally! :)

20. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only have 1200mi on my 2005 Prius. I love this car and like others want to rusy to defend it, but I thought I'd try a bit more balanced feedback.

1. Yes you can't read the LCD with bright light on it. Some have said its not an issue as you don't need to look at it, this is 90% true. But you do if you want to adjust AC fan speed your, which was a problem for me one time on a long drive with unchaning sun. Not a reason to give bad marks.

2. Yes you get used to the reduced visibility of the rear. But I think it is getting used to it, not realizing that you actually have full visibility. I hae to move my head around a bit to get a better view. There are definitely some minor blind spots, that like on any car you adapt to.

3. This is my biggest complaint. I am 6'2" and my legs hurt after a 2hr. drive. The seats are not the most comfortable, offer little in way of support and adjustment and don't move far enough back so legs become a bit cramped.

Al