1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Condensation in Fog Lights. Normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Burntdough177, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Burntdough177

Burntdough177 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just ordered (juiced hybrid) last week and installed fog lights for my 2011 and now one side (the drivers side) has condensation in it. it burns off and disappears when i turn the light on and drive for a while. but when i leave the fog lights overnight, a slight haze is there in the morning.

Is anyone getting this same problem? is this normal?

There was no haze for the first 3 days when i got it but when i got a car wash on the 4th day condensation appeared and is now a constant when i wake up in the morning.

thank you for any help.

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did on a previous car and the dealer repaired under warranty. Something about a broken seal

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What fog lamps are these? Some fogs are equipped with exhaust outlets to let the moist air out and temporary moisture built-up is normal and does not indicate a malfunction. However, OEM fogs found on the Five shouldn't be doing that. If you see actual water droplets (rather than temporary condensation), that's indicative of a split seal and I had one of my LED headlights replaced under warranty for this.

JMD likes this.
  4. Burntdough177

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you.... the lights are supposed to be as close to OEM as possible ... with regards to the condensation... it is temporary. it goes away after i turn the lights on for about 10 mins. If this is somewhat normal, i wonder why it only occurs on one side. i took yours and JMD's advice and I called juicedhybrid.com ..... they will get back to me tomorrow on what they can do.

thanks for your input guys

JMD likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked that your bulb is mounted correctly, and is making a tight seal with the housing?

SCH-I535 ? 2

6. Burntdough177

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did as soon as i saw the condensation. . . but if it was not mounted correctly, could the condensation that im getting daily be from build up from the original day that it was correctly on the housing. ?
    Another thought is that .... could this also be from the car wash that i got that sprays the undercarriage ?

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've run the car through the car wash many times and have never had a problem with condensation.

You have a problem with a bad seal around the lens at the front, or at the bulb base that is allowing moisture or water in the housing.

Or you already have moisture in there. The condensation burns off from the heat when the bulbs are on, but reappears when everything cools down.

Either way, you have to check the housing to see if there is a leak at any of the seals. Then you have to get any moisture out of the housing before putting a bulb in.

Once you're sure there is no leak, you can try sealing your housing in a container with some desiccant packets. Or you can try heating your housing in an oven at low heat to drive off any moisture in the housing, then try and reassemble everything before the housing cools down too much and draws in moist air again.

JMD likes this.