1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Condensation/water in Headlamp Assembly - 2010 Halogen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Lightning Racer, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2010 Prius and am starting to fix up some issues. I just noticed that there is quite a lot of water droplets in the right headlamp and of a lighter mist in the left headlamp. I did a search and found suggestions to get the headlamps warrantied (not an option for me) and that there is a bulletin on the issue (but nothing specific in the post) and that it might be related to a poor seal.

Is there a home fix for this problem? The headlamps work, so I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money on the issue. I just ordered a headlamp polish kit on Amazon yesterday when I had thought it was cloudy plastic based on a not-too-careful look, but that obviously won't fix the issue. I might return that kit when it gets here.

I see non-OEM headlamp assemblies on ebay for $100 each, so that might be a possibility. Does anyone have experience with non-OEM headlamps? Do they have condensation problems too? I found a video on youtube for changing them out, and it looks like something I could have a body shop do while they touch up the front bumper cover (which is scratched up...).

2. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a fix in the accessories and modifications sub forum, in case anyone else has this problem and finds this in a forum search. It's a thread for blacking out the headlamps, but moisture can obviously be removed if you follow the relevant parts. Basically remove the headlamps, bake them one at a time in the oven at 215 F for 10 to 15 minutes until the black glue/sealant softens. By then maybe the moisture would be dried out and you won't have to peel the clear shield from the black housing - or try a lower temperature for longer. Sounds like you should be able to reuse the existing gooey sealant, though that was probably the cause of the problem in the first place, so look for leaks and seal them up. There's a tip in post #6 for a source for purchasing more sealant, if needed.

DIY HEADLIGHT REMOVAL AND HEADLIGHT BLACKOUT GUIDE AKA Baked Headlight | PriusChat