1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

confessions of a newbie

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by goddess prii, Sep 14, 2012.

1. goddess prii

goddess prii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just wanted to post some of the interesting(stupid) things that I have done while getting to know my Lola.
    Got in the car. Turned ON the car. Wasn't sure I had. Turned the car OFF. Realized I had turned it ON/OFF. Felt STUPID!

Pulled into a parking lot. Got out of the car. Tried to lock the car. Car had a strange BEEP. UGH I forgot to turn the car OFF.

Pulled into the gas station at m local Kroger. Was so excited for my first fill up and to use my 10 cents off per gallon. I forgot to put the car in PARK. I immediately pressed the power button to turn the car off. I learned something new that day. Pressing the power button to turn the car off will also put the car in park! And of course I had trouble finding the gas lever. I eventually fueled up the car. Had a victory dance at the pump when I saw the cost of fueling up my new car!:p
    That's my stories. Anyone have other confessions? They will be kept strickly confidential!:whistle:

parnami and Joshua like this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the chuckles. :)

I would however recommend reading over the owner's manual. It really does have good information in there.

3. goddess prii

goddess prii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad I could make you laugh...I know that I was laughing after the fear subsided!
    I have read the manual.... it's like reading war and peace or in my case GoneWith The Wind.
    Much info to absorb in a short period of time.

4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My first road trip. Came to a construction zone flagman, put the car in park. When we were waved on I put the car in drive (Ithought) but it didn't move. I paniced, turn the car off, turned it on, put it in drive still no go. Everyone in line went around me. I finally tried the sequence again slower and it moved.....never had a problem in the year since, love the car, now that I think I know how to drive it.

5. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Toyota Prius manual came with a 30 min DVD. VERY HELPFUL.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was funny.

Also, get acquainted with the overhead light and its switching. Most newbies end up leaving a door
    cracked and it kills the battery and then oh boy alot of drama can ensue. So:

Always lock the door with the key fob. Always. Every single time even in the garage. Get in that habit. Because if one door is not closed all the way it will beep you when you try to lock the car alerting you . It just does one long beep if a door is cracked. Try it. T

The exception to that is:

The rear hatch. Takes a while to get used to closing the rear hatch. Pull it down by the inside handle grip hole and as its swinging down place your palm on the outside Toyota emblem and push it shut. Don't slam it just a little shove. And always make sure one of the front doors are open as you close it as there has been a report of windows cracking if all the front doors are closed and you whip the hatch closed. Its a tight car. At the very least if you whip the hatch closed and all the doors are closed its tough on the door seals.

When the hatch is closed properly look at the relationship between where the hatch door meets the body at the corner. See how evenly they meet. Every time you close the hatch look at that relationship so you know the hatch is actually closed all the way because the problem is you can lock the doors with the fob and if the hatch is not all the way closed it will NOT beep. The hatch is not on the all locked doors circuit. Then if not closed and you do not know it , it will leave a light on and eventually will kill the battery.

Good Luck!!

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Funny stuff. Congrats & enjoy your new Prius.

8. Rosie2124

Rosie2124 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't worry, I've done some stupid things so far too. Just picked up my car on Saturday and went to run a few errands immediately after. Before I got out of the car to go in the store, I sat and fiddled with some things for a few minutes while the car was on, so the engine shut off since I wasn't moving. I then proceeded to get out of the car and was about to lock it when I remembered that I didn't shut it off. I guess I won't ever forget to shut it off again!

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car will beep at you 3 times when you get out with the fob & the car is in READY. Also when you try to lock the car with the Fob & in READY it does nothing. Alerting you that something is wrong.