1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confessions of a Prius snob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, Feb 2, 2007.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Confessions of a Prius snob
    One day, just a regular motorist with a regular car. Then along came the hybrid, and the snobbery.
    By Liane Bonin, LIANE BONIN's first novel, "Celebrity Skin," will be published this month.
    February 2, 2007

IT'S NOT LIKE I've been tooling around with Ed Begley Jr., recycling my gently used toilet paper and making dress shirts out of reclaimed hair and bottle caps. I don't hug trees or pose nude for PETA (not that they've asked me or anything). I'm not that person. I'm not an eco-snob.

Or at least I wasn't. Until the Prius.

When the transmission in my loyal '92 Accord started gurgling on the 405, I had to shop for a new car. I had vowed to hold out for a flying car (weren't those supposed to be in dealerships by now?) but, with sadness in my heart, I began looking for my next landlocked, fossil-fuel guzzling companion.

I heard rumors about the Prius. Nasty rumors. That its mileage claims couldn't be trusted, that it might die on me just when I thought we could go the distance together.

A car with commitment issues and a reputation for stalling? Sounded like an ex-boyfriend.

But none of that compared to the real horror — encountering actual Prius owners.

Read more.

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember--it's not just a car: It's a religion! B)
    (Resistance is futile...you WILL be assimilated!)

3. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

Heh heh. I guess I need to get my death-ray glare down before I start looking for my Prius.

4. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After driving a Prius all other autos seem so boring. There just isn't anything to do but drive a conventional vehicle. I do feel sorry for the saps. Don't call me a snob. My wife gets a kick out of me driving the RAV4 after being used to the Prius. I am way too heavy on the gas and brake!

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ Feb 2 2007, 09:34 AM) [snapback]384385[/snapback]</div>
    It does not have to be a hybrid to prominently display the fuel consumption for the trip, that instant, and life of the vehicle. All vehicles should have one. I'd go so far as to suggest a campaign to get California to mandate new cars to have them, just like their requirement for CFB.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ Feb 2 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]384385[/snapback]</div>
    ...and so primitive! :D

Tom

7. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since my friend & I got our new 2007 Prii in late November & we now are expecting the coldest temperatures in years (here in southeastern Wisconsin), I wonder if we are responsible for solving the global warming problem. Hey, it was unseasonably warm for the last few winters & now. . . . :lol:

(OK, you do know I'm kidding, right?)

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    awesome article! :) hehe

9. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

I love it how some people that drive a hybrid think as if they are not polluting, that they are driving an all elextric car and that they dont buy gas, I mean of course it is the better way to go and stuff and there are definately alot of people who do not need SUV's but to have a bias against someone about what they drive, to me, is pretty rude. What if it was a rental, friends, or just a matter of choice?

10. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Feb 2 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]384411[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol:

This morning as I wasdriving to work (-8F), they were warning people about black ice at the stoplights. I'm thinking to myself, those idiots driving cars that leave the engine running at stoplights. :lol:

11. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hey now, I'm a Crest girl!

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Feb 2 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]384437[/snapback]</div>
    They have to. They probably couldn't get them restarted if they turned them off.

I doubt the Prius would have very much trouble starting if left out over night at 20 below.

Ha!

Dave M.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Feb 2 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]384436[/snapback]</div>
    Hey. Don't rain on my smugness. B)

Dave M.

13. chogan

chogan New Member

Sneering, snarky uberhipness for people who have no center. Does the LA audience really find that amusing?

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Feb 2 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]384436[/snapback]</div>
    Tar and feather this heretic! ;)

Tom