1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confidence in purchasing a Toyota Certified Used Hybrid Car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by archiveman2977, Jan 27, 2010.

1. archiveman2977

archiveman2977 archiveman2977

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone purchased a Toyota Certified Used Hybrid -Prius- ? If so, do you have a high confidence level in the inspections performed before sale and do you think that I should single out these cars for a better ultimate satisfaction level?

These questions weigh on us, from the recent fire of our 2006 Prius. Buy a Certified Used Prius or a new one?

Your thoughts...

2. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I vote go for a new one because there aren't any preowned 2010s in the dealer lots as of yet.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our dealer has used 2010 on his lot. But the inspections are only as good as the confidence you have in your dealer to do them. I bought a "GM certified" Chevy Venture that probably just had the stickers affixed to it since it didn't have some equipment that it was supposed to have, like the key FOBS I had to fight to get them. They advertise that these cars are suppose to be like new until the dealers has to do something to make them like new. I would have walked away from that car except my wife really liked it and it was the one she wanted, so I grinned and bared it LOL. And it turned out to be a great car afterall.

1 person likes this.
  4. phdchp

phdchp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In May 2009, we purchased a previously owned 2008 Prius as a Toyota Certified Used car. It had 33k miles on it when purchased. We have driven it an additional 11k miles, and we have had no problems. The oil had been changed prior to purchase, and they had put about 1/2 guart too much oil in it. So I took it back and they drained the oil and brought it back into specs. I scanned the paperwork that came with the car that indicated what had been done to the car and it all looked reasonable. I did go to the Toyota web site and it claimed that they had to turn the front brake rotors. I looked at the rotors and they had not been turned. Of course as we all know, the rotors on a Prius should never need to be turned. I think the benefit of a Certified Car is the added warranty that comes with it. In summary, we are very, very satisfied with the car. We got a very reliable, economical car at a good price.

1 person likes this.
  5. archiveman2977

archiveman2977 archiveman2977

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HI AND THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS. MORE SPECIFICALLY, WE HAD 52K MILES ON OUR #7 w-LEATHER. 2006 PRIUS.
    WE LAMENT THE FACT THAT A 2010 PRIUS WILL COST $10K MORE THAN OUR INSURANCE HAS PD. SO, WE ARE ATTEMPTING TO BUY A -CERTIFIED- USED PRIUS W-NAV & LEATHER W-LOW MILES.
    THERE ARE VERY FEW LOW MILAGE 2008 & 2009's AVAILABLE. SO, PERHAPS A CERTIFIED PRIUS...

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my 2009 Touring from a Certified PreOwned Toyota dealer. It had 9,000 miles because it was their loaner/service car when Prius owners at that dealer had to get their car serviced. It was ONLY loaned out to Prius customers so I can only hope that they took relatively good care of it. Of course it passed the 196 point inspection and I've had no problems so far other than minor things that were my fault (such as running over a pothole thus needing a new tire).

I recommend looking into those service cars (thats usually the only way they have such low mileage, because the PreOwned dealer can't sell those cars once theyve reached 10,000 miles - and they have to be of the new year)

1 person likes this.
  7. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Certified" does have some advantages, but I'm convinced it's only in the extra protection you get if something goes wrong. Even tho it's already "Certified" they'll still want to sell you an extra improved coverage package that illustrates what basic "Certified" doesn't cover - and it's a lot.
    Ask them for the service history. Ask what was found and fixed on the "Certification" inspection. Don't assume that anything was. My 2007 was purchased "Certified" and I soon found out about TSBs hadn't been done that should have - if they had really checked. Alignment hadn't been checked or it would have been corrected.
    How are the tires? Check for uneven wear and if they're almost toast see if you can get a new set thrown in (you pick the tire of course!).
    In my case I think they looked at the 13k miles on the odometer, did a basic oil change, etc., and slapped a "Certified" sticker on it.

- D