1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confirmed my Order

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wynder, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Wynder

Wynder New Member

So, I confirmed my order for a 2006 in Classic Silver with package #6. Then came the fateful question:

"When you were looking to be in the car?" he asked.

"I was looking to take delivery after the new year," I replied.

Then it came -- the woosh of oral disclaimers and the "If we get one in mid-December and you want to wait till January, we may give it to someone else then you *could* be waiting into February or March and miss out on the tax credit all together."

Oy, I initially went with this guy because he seemed knowledgeable and nice -- was willing to sit on the phone and talk to me for as long as I wanted. Around my area, they don't go on commission, but rather by how many units they sell as a store (if I'm correct), so they don't necessarily pressure you about the small things, but this seems to be getting kind of annoying.

Any thoughts or advice on this? I just found out that I'll have a new baby arriving next year, so I have yet another thing to mix into the tax formula, heh!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it's double talk at all...I think that's just plain honest. If you really want to know where you stand go to the dealership and ask to see the actual physical list of people waiting for a Prius after the New Year.

Make sure you know what number you are on that list. If you're number 15 and they only get 2 cars per week then you may, very well, be waiting until Feb./Mar. for your car.

Listen, you really don't have any recourse if the dealership decides to start adding on a premium or "required" dealer add-ons. There's going to be a rush after the New Year, they're in a position to make money and they're going to take advantage.

The best you can do is try to keep yourself in good stead with the sales creature you've been working with. Keep on him after the New Year, keep informed, keep reminding him about your agreement for MSRP and no 'extras' (or whatever you agreed to). And keep your fingers crossed. I suspect this is going to get as ugly as things got 2 years ago when Prius was a much bigger hit than anticipated and the dealers were rapeing customers who couldn't/wouldn't say "no" to the tactics.

3. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Your dealer is completely wrong on the phaseout of the tax credit.
    (The following information is in the Toyota_Prius_FAQ

In short, the period for the full hybrid vehicle tax credit lasts at least through the second quarter of 2006.

The date you take possession of the vehicle (not the order date) is the applicable date for purposes of the tax credit.

The 60,000 hybrid vehicle threshhold includes all models the manufacture sells after December 31, 2005.

If 60k hybrid vehicles are sold by a manufacturer sometime in the first quarter of 2006, the tax credit will follow the following schedule:
    (2006Q1) - 100%
    (2006Q2) - 100%
    (2006Q3) - 50%
    (2006Q4) - 50%
    (2007Q1) - 25%
    (2007Q2) - 25%
    If the 60k threshold is reached in a later quarter, the 100% period will be longer for as many additional quarters as it took to meet that threshhold.

The quarters start on January 01, April 01, July 01, and October 01.

This means that the full tax credit for Toyota will be in effect at least until June 30, 2006.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, missed that part of the question. Kiloran's right. You won't miss out on the credit....that was BS on your stealership's part.

5. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I asked him that -- he said that the list was in his managers hands "under lock and key so people couldn't scratch off names or modify the list." He could find out, but didn't know when he could get back to me.

Just seemed a bit odd.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I suggested physically going to the dealer. Have your sales creature "introduce" you to the manager so he can put a face to your name. Ask him directly to see the list so you can see where your name is. This can be done in a "hey, I was in the neighborhood and just so excited about my new car" perky kinda way so they don't think you're a jerk trying to push them around. But yea, being there face to face knowing your facts definately can put the ball into your court a bit and it makes it a bit harder for them to BS you later on if they say there are so many cars and so many customers and you know where you are on the list.

Just keep on them, they'll get you your car just to get you out of their hair so they can go back to screwing the other folks who weren't so well informed and persistant. :p

7. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I feel a bit better now, folks.

Thanks for the reassurance. :)

8. Clar

Clar Member

That sounds right except the miss out on the tax credit thing.

Just make sure he'll put you on the top of the list if he by pass you in mid December.

I talked to my dealer few months back and he gave me the same answer: "if we gets car in middle of December, we will give the cars to other people. But if we get one that matches your requirement at the end of December, I might be able to hold it for you for few days so you can take delivery after Jan 1".

9. Wynder

Wynder New Member

ROFL. When I started spewing off the details for the '06 model before he even had them, he said, "No, I don't think that's right -- the model shouldn't be changing all that much."

About 5 minutes later he called me back and practically offered me a job having confirmed the information with their regional office. Being in the know is nice. :)

10. sloopG

sloopG New Member

Placed my order for a 2006 in September. Had them write down that it was for delivery after jan 1, 2006. Got a call yesterday from the dealer.... "Your car is coming in during the first week of December." I told him that I had no intention of buying the car until the new year. Then came the litany of reasons why I should pick up "my car" in December. Of course, if I turned down this car, they could not guarantee when in 2006 I would get called for the option package and color(s) that I requested. I politely told them thanks and not to call me until after Jan 1. I suspect that they will not be filling my order until they sell off the first batch of 2006 delivered Prius at a premium. Glad I placed a second order with another dealership just in case.

I'f it weren't for the tax credit, I would probably postphone the buying decision for another year when there are more hybrids on the market and the pricing is discounted starts being under MSRP.

SloopG