1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confirmed: Toyota only reinforced one side of the Prius (photos inside)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by E46Prius, Aug 15, 2015.

1. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As some of you may know, Toyota reinforced the front end of the Prius for the 2014 and 2015 MY (model year). The 2010-2013 Priuses (I believe the cutoff date is November, 2013, MY 2014) lack this reinforcement. I could not confirm exactly what Toyota did but when I was shopping for a new car, I had to have one (why not) that scored at least acceptable.

I understand that aside from a complete redesign (which is impossible midcycle), the next best thing is to add "band-aids" to try to manage crash energy and deflect or slow the rate of deceleration as much as possible before reaching the passenger compartment.

So today I was doing my HID retrofit (I'll make another post on that in a bit) and I had the headlights out. Immediately I saw what Toyota did. They added an extremely dense and thick triangular shaped reinforcement along the outside of the drivers side frame rail. This design looks like it was made to deflect the oncoming vehicle (or quite possibly the IIHS's rigid barrier) and/or to engage the front structure so it is *not* bypassed in the event of a crash involving a small percentage of the vehicle's front end.

I am not aware of other reinforcements Toyota has done.

I accept this and it helped the Prius achieve an acceptable score. All body parts remained unharmed but the reinforcement(s) looks like it helped just enough so the passenger compartment isn't completely torn apart. Though there's still more intrusion than I'd like to see (hence the acceptable structure score) Overall the 2014+ prius achieves a top safety pick *plus* award.

Now here's the shocker (maybe not so shocking)

Toyota only reinforced the driver's side to beat the IIHS small offset test since the IIHS tests the driver's side. The IIHS has said in the past they suspect manufacturers are doing this but did not name any. The proof is here. No such reinforcement exists on the passenger side. So if you get in a small angle crash on the passenger side and you bypass the front structure, your passenger is in for a world of hurt.

It seems the brace may be a bolt on. I wonder if one can simply by another one (or two of them) if you are a 2010-2013 owner and install them. Just for peace of mind.

Anyway here are some photographs I took of my car as well as to confirm my suspicions, looked at pics of crashed priuses. It seems my suspicions are correct. Only 2014/2015 models have this triangular structure on the drivers side. 2010-2013 don't have anything.

2015 Prius (my Prius) passenger side. Nada. =(
    P3.jpg
    Here's the driver's side...

P2.jpg

P1.jpg \

Here's as 2010 I pulled. Every 2010-2013 looks identical. No reinforcement.
    Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 11.45.19 AM.png

A 2015... note the triangular reinforcement designed to engage the crash structure/frame rails.
    Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 11.47.54 AM.jpg

The Prius is still a really safe car. I'm just disappointed in Toyota for only reinforcing the driver's side--the side the IIHS tests. In the future, the IIHS says they will randomly test driver or passenger's side to make sure manufacturers arent trying to cut costs and only make the driver's side safe.

If you watch the video, you see what I said seems to be correct. Watch the Prius bounce off of the barrier. I don't want to know what happens if you bypass the triangle. Eeps. Honda does a much better job at this with their "ACE" body structure. full engagement all the way out to the corners. The next Prius hopefully will be fully designed.

#1 E46Prius, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting discovery.

And disappointing the Toyota would only reinforce one side. Can't believe the cost to reinforce both sides would be too prohibitive and disappointing that it appears Toyota's priority was in Passing The Test as opposed to actually making the whole vehicle safer for both front seat occupants.

Since evidently we can't trust the automakers. I suppose the obvious answer is perhaps the IIHS needs to expand their testing to account for BOTH sides. Then adjust scores downwards for failure.

E46Prius likes this.
  3. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for pics!
    So it looks like a bolt-on to you?
    With luck I can find a rear-end totaled 2014 and extract it to put on our 2012. If anyone else does this mod, could you please document and post pics of the process?
    Would anyone consider making the mirror-image brace to fit on the passenger's side.?
    Until then I will nerve myself to crash straight into an object rather than have that partial offset frontal crash scenario. Psychologically, that is against my normal "see and avoid" strategy, so I wish I could practice it in a simulator first.
    Ok, does anyone rent out Prius driving simulators ?

E46Prius likes this.
  4. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius driving simulator haha. Gran Turismo (the video game)??

I would be interested in installing on the passenger side but looks like Toyota would have to reengineer and retest and relocate the windshield washer tank and some other parts (perhaps AC lines) to install a brace there. The whole car has to be redesigned with this in mind. Seems this is why Toyota took the cheap way out and reinforced only the drivers side as there wasn't much on that side to relocate except one wire harness which they simply clipped 3 inches higher on the 2014+ model.

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Of course you realize that every "improvement" in crash safety comes at a cost of added weight! A great deal of weight! So your car is safer crashing into a IIHS barrier. What about a car or truck, or bridge support? Nobody has tested those, and every car or truck model will give different results.

Drive carefully, NO car is "safe in a crash".

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In a matter of milliseconds, the whole cockpit fills with miraculous air bags ... and the crash dummy's head goes right between two of them like some kind of guided missile. I wonder if they could repeat that if they tried ....

-Chap

7. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not necessarily. In fact, in many cases, the opposite is true. You have to understand materials and science to understand. A lot of "laymen" seem to think safety=weight.

In recent generations, many (I'll try to use basic terms) car manufacturers have made cars stronger by utilizing high strength and ultra high strength (exotic) steels. This means certain parts can be stronger, retaining the same weight (sometimes even lighter) and reducing redundant materials elsewhere resulting in overall lower vehicle weight. It's not only about the amount of materials or mass of materials, but how those materials are layered (or structured) and how they manage crash energy.

Ideally, you want the front of the car (the part of a car usually involved in a crash) to have its energy-absorbing structures (frame rails and front bumper (bumper, not support) to engage the front of another vehicle's structure. This means extending its structure engagement points out to the side and down low. While looking at my Prius, I see Toyota does have a lower engagement point on the Prius which is good for bumper-mismatch type crashes. Kudos on that. I can talk about this for hours as it's a subject I've obsessed about for over 15 years, but trust me weight does not have to be a penalty when increasing safety. And if it is, it's a penalty I'm willing to accept. The next Prius should average 55mpg and its structure will (obviously) be designed from the ground up to ACE this test and will have its entire body structure more rigid, higher strength steels, etc. So more MPG and safer... are you still going to complain? I sure won't.

Of course absolute safety doesn't exist, but I'd rather have a car with maximum safety designed into it than not.

Zythryn likes this.
  8. antiglare

antiglare Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you for this thread. It's information like this that makes these forums of so much value to the owners. You can see that the design of the Prius was doomed from the start to fail the offset crash test, and Toyota was scrambling to apply any kind of bandaid that they could to try to stem the bleeding. Quite disheartening, really, seeing that all they really cared about was gaming the crash test.

9. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    IIHS tests the left side because on the road the incoming traffic is on the left side. Most of the cars travel with single occupant - driver only who is on the left side as well. For the same reasons Toyota have reinforced left side.
    Chances of getting in a collision with small overlap on the right side are much less.

- Alex

P.S. Of coarse, all the above is true for cars with steering wheel on the left.

10. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    is this welded on or bolted into the structure?

11. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP said bolted and I think I see 1 bolt in his driver's side pics. Need to get my hands on one and see how hard the retrofit install would be, but not yet.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so how do we know what other mfg.'s have done to the right side? i'm not disappointed because this is sop for auto manufacturing. can you buy a safer car? probably. will it get 50 mpg? probably...not. can toyota please all the people all the time?

13. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wait, I've got this:
    Toyota can please some of the people all of the time,
    Toyota can please all of the people some of the time,
    But Toyota can't please all of the people all of the time,
    And Toyota won't stay in business long if it pleases none of people all of the time!

Merkey and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good thing they are pleasing so many!:p

orenji likes this.
  15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    can you buy a safer car? Yes. Order a new Model S or buy a used one today.

will it get 50 mpg? No. The 2012 Model S is rated at 89 MPGe.

can toyota please all the people all the time? No. If they can't please enough of the people enough of the time then the Japanese government will likely save them.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    only $80,000.

17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    or you could buy Aston Martin for less, YPMV

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do they get 50 mpg?

19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No but when you pay $80k 50mpg is least of your concerns.

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    which is why we're here, complaint about the safety of a $20,000. car.:cool: