1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Conflict between headlights and dash brightness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Omegaphoenix, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Omegaphoenix

Omegaphoenix New Member

I've been having a conflict between my exterior and interior lights.

Sometimes when I'm driving in the day with my headlights off I want to dim the dashboard lights so they're not as bright.

Only problem is that I can only dim them when either the parking lights or the headlights are on. Otherwise the little dial that changes the brightness of the lights doesn't do a thing, the dashboard lights just default to the brightest setting when all the outside lights are off. Is there any way to dim the dashboard lights while all the outside lights are off that I don't see?

Thanks

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's not that I can think of. I think you hit it when you said that the rheostat is only active when the lights are one.

On the other hands, in leau of Daytime Running Lamps, many of us have the headlights on all the time. If you did this, it would enable your dashboard dimmer and increase safety. It's a win-win!

Just a thought. :)

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only way you can dim the instrument panel lights is to have either your parking lights on or headlights, use them as daytime running lights

4. Omegaphoenix

Omegaphoenix New Member

bah :(

well too bad, guess I'll just keep the lights on...but i feel so wasteful with them on during the day heh

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its not enough power to even measure... the prius throws tons more power than that around every second.... don't worry about lights..

The car assumes its full daylight if your lights are off and the light sensor sees light. "in the far corner of the drivers window."