1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confused about scratch repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by justlurkin, Jul 14, 2008.

1. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I parked my Prius at the supermarket parking lot, took a lot of care to make sure I left enough space on both side of the car. I came back to find that some inconsiderate posterior orifice had left a bad scratch on my Prius, probably with the edge of a car door.

I did a thread search here on Priuschat and saw that some members have used a double-ended touch-up pen from Toyota which has the paint on one end and a clearcoat on the other to repair such minor scratches. I called my local Toyota dealer to ask about buying one, but he tells me he has never heard of such a thing.

So I'm kind of confused.. Is there a part number for that paint pen I can give to my local Toyota dealer so they can order it for me?

My baby is an '07 Seaside Pearl. I want to at least put a protective layer on the scratch so it can't deteriorate.

Thanks for any info!

2. Prius_Gnome

Prius_Gnome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I bought from the dealer was one bottle of basecoat and one bottle of clearcoat. They were about $10 each. The bottles are 2-in-1 applicator: pen or brush. Just ask for a bottle of touch-up paint and give the parts department your paint code and there should be no confusion.

I used priuschat shop to look up my paint code:
    PriusChat Shop : Toyota Prius Body Side Moldings - $122.00
    seaside pearl looks like "8S2"

I was under the impression that you basically use touch-up paint when you can see bare metal. Otherwise, if it's just a scratch/swirl, you might consider just polishing it. I've seen bottles of stuff that claim to remove scratches but I've never used them before so maybe others can comment about them as well.

One note: for a small touch-up job, I brushed the paint onto a piece of paper and then used a toothpick to apply to the car.

3. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somehow I get the feeling I've seen you in your Prius before on the LIE, LOL. Armed with your info, I'm off to Star Toyota on Northern Boulevard to see if they have it.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery for me!