1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confused by the talk about not using the electric motor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Legrange, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Legrange

Legrange New Member

I've had my 2005 Prius for 2 weeks now, and I'm getting just over 50 mpg on the MFD. Only one fill-up so far and I don't know whether the tank was full, so I can't give a computed figure.

I've been reading all the posts about fuel economy (particularly the responses to Olathe Prius) and I'm a little confused. Several people say the secret to good mileage is to use the electric engine as little as possible. Intellectually, I can see that converting combustion eneregy to mechanical energy to electric energy for storage in the battery would involve some inefficiencies. But I thought the whole idea behind the Prius in improving milage was the 'hybrid' nature of the car, rather than just having a gasoline engine. If you don't use the electric engine, don't you just have a gas engine?

Is it that the ICE is very efficient, but not powerful enough to accelerate, and so that's when the electric engine should be used?

FWIW, to get my 50+ mpg, I've been trying hard to use the electric motor whenever possible. I look for ways to have the "arrow" from that motor supplying all my motive power, with the ICE off. But many posters are saying the best economy comes from having "no arrows" to or from the electic side, at least I think that's what I'm reading, and have the ICE provide all the power. Is this true, and if so, why?

Would appreciate any thoughts/explanations here. I'd like to see if I can improve the milage even more, but I'm very happy with what I've been getting.

2. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had mine about two weeks also and I just have fun driving the car. :D I have played driving in "stealth" mode and its kind of neat when all you hear is the tires on the road. Most of my trips are very short so I'm sure that my millage is suffering a bit (only 46) but its a lot better than what a neighbor gets from his Hummer. :p

I got mine at Toyota 101 (Redwood City). Where did you get yours?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, with "no arrows" you're neither using the engine nor the battery so that, I would think, would be the best. This will allow you to use the full battery when you actually need it. Note that the battery will still be used if you have the A/C running at higher speeds.

4. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"99550)</div>
    This is a serious question.

If you are neither using the engine or the battery, what is propelling the car?

Also, what do you enter to get the ICE with the line above it?

Well, I just saw the answer to my 2nd question. The software does it.

ICE SKS

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Several people say the secret to good mileage is to use the electric engine as little as possible."

Strange! Must not be the same peope who are doing the EV mod.

I drive with the Consumption screen on and let the HSD take care of whether the ICE is needed or not.

6. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(popoff\";p=\"99561)</div>
    You see, that is the problem with the overly simplified animations. The MFD only shows 1 MG but we know there are actually 2; MG1 & MG2.

When you are coasting or braking, MG2 (50kW) will function as a generator to convert the Kinetic energy to Electrical energy and this will be used to power MG1 (10kW) which now has to act as a motor to reduce the drag caused by ICE and to prevent it from spinning backward. If this regen. is greater than is required, some will go to the battery. If it is less, then battery will need to supply some power. Therefore, the trick is to keep controlling the accelerator to get just the required regen. so that no arrow is flowing to/from the battery. By doing this, you can reduce some efficiency losses from the electircal <-> chemical conversion. Of course when the Kinetic energy is totally converted, you still need to use ICE or battery to propel the car.

Personally, I don't practice this technique as there is too much attention to the MFD and our traffic conditions just make it impossible. I prefer to just drive it and let the computers decide what is best. I find it more relaxing and enjoyable than trying to get high MPG.

Vincent

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(popoff\";p=\"99561)</div>
    This is a serious question.

If you are neither using the engine or the battery, what is propelling the car?
    [/b][/quote]

Momentum, silly. It's like shifting to neutral (and actually, shifting to neutral in the Prius will give the same effect)

Vincent's explanation is good.

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The simple logic is that if you're never charging or draining the battery, you must be driving very smoothly, not braking or accelerating too hard, and relying on momentum. That's good for economy in any car.

The battery exists to help smooth out power demands, provide extra oomph when you need to accelerate, and recapture energy when you brake, for real-life driving.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not so much that you want to use the electric motor "as little as possible", but rather to avoid using it when not necessary. Many many new owners are under the misconception that they somehow will get better gas mileage by maximizing the use of the electric motor...the Consumption/Energy screen shows 99.9 mpg when you're doing that after all!

The thing is that that energy came from somewhere and the conversion losses are not taken into account.

I do not drive in a way to avoid using the electric motor. In fact I take advantage of it during brisk accelerations and when in CC just let it do it's own thing.

I do try to learn situations where I know there will be conversion losses and avoid the losses. For instance. I live in a very hilly area in the Ozark Mountains. If I let the car decide what to do (say leave it in CC steady speed of 40mph) it will do regenerative coasting down the first hill gaining a little momentum, but not as much as possible b/c of the built in braking (thus loss of both momentum and conversion losses from regeneration). Then an uphill comes. ICE kicks in, power comes from battery to MG2 (more conversion losses), and the cycle continues through the little rolling hills.

Now, if I take control I can travel a nearly 3 mile stretch of rolling hills using the ICE, briefly, only 3 times and varying my speed by around =/- 4mph from 40. Clearly this is only 'doable' if there's no traffic behind me, but that's not uncommon on this stretch of 35mph road.

So, what I do is "glide" down that first hill..just depressing the pedal enough that there are no green regen arrows. My speed builds up enough that I can continue the glide up and over the next little crest without dropping my speed below about 37-38mph. Next downhill and I continue my glide. As I said, there are a couple of spots where the crests area bit higher and I do allow the ice to kick in and I go ahead and use that necessary start up to keep the speed right at 40mph when I hit the crest..thus having that much more momentum to carry me though the next set of rolling hills.

For this ~3 mile long 5 minute or so leg of my regular commute I routinely get 80-100mpg both directions (in case someone was going to say it is more downhill or something). If I let the computer decide the mileage is still in the 50-60 range, but never as good and the ICE starts up about 3 times as often (btw, ICE start up by MG1 also uses a goodly amount of energy that you never get back so avoiding ICE start up is a good thing).

Have I clarified things, or muddied...or do you have any follow up question?

10. Orsino

Orsino New Member

Yep. We want to use the battery sometimes!

When accelerating from a standstill, let the battery do the work. The energy you're using at that point came from times when the ICE was working at relatively high efficiency, and even with the 50% conversion loss, you're doing better with the battery.

There's a long stretch of I-285 I traverse every day on my way home. It's a few miles of very gentle downgrade, and I can generally coast it. When traffic is thick, as it often is on Friday afternoon or if I leave work late, I'm going to be doing a lot of start 'n' stop driving on that piece of my commute. Thanks to the battery, my ICE shuts down for what can be fifteen or even thirty minutes, doing wonders for my gas mileage. On a couple of occasions, that bit of road has tapped my battery completely, and the ICE has to take over, and do double duty moving the car and recharging the battery.

Yeah, the ICE is wonderfully efficient, and the Prius is made even more so by that battery that does things no gasoline engine can possibly achieve. Behind it all are Toyota's marvelous computer algorithms which decide when and how each motor should be employed.

11. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The Hybrid Synergy Drive is a wonderful system that allows good performance from a car with a small, weak but thermally efficient atkinson cycle engine. It is designed in such a way that good results can be obtained without any special effort on the part of the driver.

When I bought the car, I regularly saw results in the low to mid 50s with some effort towards driving conservatively. I tried many strategies, including every single strategy that has ever been discussed on this website since it's birth.

With maximum effort, I was able to achieve upper 50s and ranges of 700 miles per tank. These are very good results. I recognize the conversion losses and therefore when trying for maximum mileage, I attempt to minimize these losses when possible. In the other thread, I said, "The better strategy is to use the electric motor as little as possible."

All I mean by this is to recognize the losses and try to avoid them when it is reasonable to do so. I use the electric motor to accelerate at a reasonable rate but I don't ascribe to the strategy of getting to speed very rapidly so that I can start coasting sooner. I don't believe that to be the best use of the system. The losses and substantial use of stored energy that must be replaced will cause a hit down the road and with brisk acceleration the engine will rev faster and will be outside it's most efficient range. Of course these are not absolutes and the faster you accelerate the worse your mileage will be.

Is it necessary to make special considerations when driving this car? Hell no. Just drive it if that is what you are into but if you want to push the envelope, try what I'm saying. There are dozens of strategies to getting the best mileage possible and this only addresses one.

My statement was meant to address those that routinely try to force the car to stay in electric mode. That is actually slower and less efficient that using the engine in it's most efficient range. When done "as often as possible" the battery is run to a low SOC and the subsequent miles will be at a lower MPG than if the system was not charging the battery back up to it's optimum level. With 2 to 4 bars on the battery monitor, your mileage can't be as good as it would be with 6 bars.

My recent tanks have been a testimony to the accuracy of my statements. My last two tanks were 729 miles at 60.7 MPG and 768 at 61.8 MPG. My current tank is at 324 miles and 63 MPG. My commute includes about half the miles at 60-65 mph and I routinely exceed that on the downhills. If I had a commute where the speeds didn't exceed 45 mph and was the same length as my current one the mileage would be around 70 MPG.

Does it matter? Only to me. The amount of gas saved between 50 MPG and 60 MPG is about 20 cents per hour in gas savings. It's just for fun ya'll.

If it really isn't your cup of tea then just drive it and enjoy the best car ever designed for our current needs and future reality.

And as always, Your Mileage May Vary.

12. leeskarha

leeskarha New Member

OK Ray,
    I'm sold. Quick questions. What tires and pressure are you using? How many miles on your car?
    Thanks...

13. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    33,000 miles on the car. OEM tires at 42/40. Three quarts of Mobil1 in the crankcase. I'll be replacing the tires soon. They still have even tread wear even though I've only rotated them once and they just passed state inspection but they're getting a little squeely around corners. I'll wait maybe another 2,000 miles. I may replace them with another set of Integritys since I haven't found anyone being thrilled with the alternatives. OK maybe some glowing reports on the Goodyear TTs.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ray,
    I've not heard anyone not thrilled with HydroEdges once they changed over. Some people who I really trust their opinions too saying that they note a 1-2mpg hit max and dramitically improved handling and the TRAC kick-in goes away almost completely.

I'm only at about 25k, but have had a couple flats repaired and have some uneven wear that just bugs me to look at. I probably have another 5k before I "need" to replace, but am considering doing it early next month so I can get a really good warm weather assessment of the mileage impact.

15. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I try for max battery use. But I read these comments and what Evan describes doesn't sound all that different to me from what I do.

But I don't exactly see how anyone drives with ICE only? My car goes into battery mode on it's own regularly whenever it feels like it whether I try for it or not! When I try for max battery I am only trying to aid the car in deciding when to do it.

For example, If I am at enough speed and on level road I might feather the pedal to help trigger battery mode, when I know the car will be soon going downhill and be able to stay in that mode for a while. If an uphill section was ahead I would not do this.

I think of my method more as trying to minimize engine start stop cycling, but also avoiding situations like a low battery when stopped at a long traffic light where the engine would run just for battery charging.

16. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"tomdeimos\";p=\"99809\")</div>
    This is really a hard subject to quantify because of all the variables. When we try to state it simply, it is easy to misinterpret the meaning of our statements.

I agree that it is helpful to feather the peddle to avoid Ice start but only to a point. It is even better to coast without engine or electric motor. If the car needs a significant amount of motive force, it is most efficient for this to come from the Ice. What we are really referring to here is the practice of trying to drive as much as possible with the energy from the battery. When you run the battery down trying to nurse the car along without the engine for as long as possible, you will not achieve maximum efficiency.

When you use the electric motor only but are not drawing much energy from the battery then it is similar to no arrows operation. I am only concerned with drawing down the battery significantly.

The best mileage I can get would come from using the engine to get up to around 45 mph and then coast in neutral to around 35 and then repeat the cycle. But again, all the variables like terrain and AC use can alter this a bit. I this was continued for a long distance, the average MPG would be in the 70-80 MPG range. I'm talking near test track conditions. Lots of things can impact these results, such as road surface, wind, temperature, and even dewpoint. Yes, our cars get better mileage in high humid conditions. Pilots are familiar with altitude density that relates to the density of the air. Hot humid air is less dense and offers less wind resistance.

At the level of mileage that I am at, things like a 5 mph headwind or tailwind can change a leg MPG from 72 MPG to 67 MPG. I'm recording individual legs of this tank. I live 600 feet higher than I work. I see morning legs ranging from 66-72 MPG and afternoon legs ranging from 55-58 MPG. This commute is 30 to 31 miles one way depending on the route I choose.

17. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Evan- Yeah I hear good comments about the Hydroedge on handling but at a mileage and noise cost. Have you been rotating your tires? Not long ago, you reported even wear didn't you? Has this changed recently?

18. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"99830)</div>
    I agree about it being hard to state things simply without them sounding misleading even when I read my own words back again. But I'm beginning to get the impression we are approaching some similar techniques, but from opposite directions. And it would be great to be able to test some things out on a fixed track with no other traffic and no wind, and indoors so we could set the temperature too!

The car makes it really easy to measure things. But deciding what change of many caused the major mpg changes can be difficult.

And the car really has a mind of it's own sometimes. I get different amounts of battery mode on different days for reasons I can't figure. And around here temperatures are always fluctuating and mucking up the numbers. When it gets cold here the battery just shuts off! The car does different things below 50 degrees than above 70 degrees.

I am beginning to think the car has some memory about things the driver does. For instance when I use the EV button, it seems to make the engine cycle to battery on it's own more often. Coasting more often seems to also have this more lasting effect. I would not be surprised at all if the cars adjust somewhat to the slow accelerators, and then some other way for the brisk accelerators.

And conditions are very different in different locations. For instance when I talk about running on battery as much as possible, or accelerating using battery at certain times, it never occurred to me this might be read as trying to go 7 green to 2 pink bars in a cycle. Around here I couldn't do this if I wanted to, since there is always a little hill coming up that is enough to make the engine start up. I do use my EV button but I don't use it to push the battery further than the car does on it's own.

I get 2 pink bars only when I park and want to run the AC. In driving with my max battery usage, the bars generally cycle 6 bars to 5, or in cold weather 7 bars to 6. Sometimes I might see it jump up and down by 2 bars.

19. Olathe Prius

Olathe Prius New Member

On a very simplistic basis, would it be safe to say, that the best driving strategy would be one that would maximize green or no arrows on the MFD?

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"99831)</div>
    My tires are wearing 'equally' (each tire about the same). but there seems to be excessive wear on the outer edges compared to the center of the tread--similar to what you are supposed to see if you run too low of pressure--I run 42f/40r.

I've noticed that pattern for at least 6 months. Again, I probably have 5k miles life in the tires where they'd be considered "OK" based on the wear bars and such. But traction is poor and the pair of flats has me a bit spooked.