1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Congradulations Paul Hamm!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Aug 19, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i just finished watching one of the most enjoyable sports events ive seen in a long time. Paul Hamm after a terrible vault when he fell to 12th place, came back as his competition also made one mistake each to win the gold by the closest margin ever (.012 points)

he becomes the first american gymnast to win the gold medal in the all around.

WTG PAUL!!!

2. Batavier

Batavier Member

Darn, missed the last bit of that. I saw him in action yesterday evening (local time :) ) and it was a good performance.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was pretty dang moving...granted all the top guys had to help him out by having less than perfect performances, but Hamm sure did perfect on all his events other than the disasterous fall.

4. Marg

Marg New Member

Oh yeah, that was amazing! After the vault, I thought he was toast, but his high bar routine blew me away. I guess the judges agreed.

5. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

My favorite (least) part were the commentators. After spending half an hour saying "Boy it's hopeless now! He's going to be remembered for this the rest of his life. It sux to be him!" it's nice to see thembe wrong once in a while.

6. Marg

Marg New Member

Oh yeah, the commentary was infuriating! It wasn't just their comments about him, either. For nearly every guy, the message was "this person is a great competitor, but this is a very demanding apparatus and the slightest mistake can cause disaster!", or "Fantastic routine, but he really screwed up on the (handstand, tumbling line, release move... whatever), and this will really put him in jeopardy. He's really gonna regret this. "

It's as though they thought we needed more drama and were looking for trouble in order to make things more interesting. Drove me nuts.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually, i thought it was fitting that the commentators had him dead and buried.

poetic justice is a fitting sentence for them giving up on his chances so early. but that is their job. it is to report on the news as they see it. unfortunately they must continue talking and when you get right down to it, each performer made one major error. and although Hamms was one of the worst, the rest of his performance was spectacular and he deserved to win.

its easy to run in the lead when you are in front. coming back when there is seemingly no hope is something we have all been in. it may not be an athletic event, but most of us have been in a seemingly hopeless position. coming from behind is much tougher and even more impressive when you are doing it against the best in the world.

some might argue that last years super bowl was as exciting. it may have been but this was a hell of a lot more satisfying.