1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Connect to Bluetooth Laptop?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Regor, May 27, 2005.

1. Regor

Regor New Member

Has anyone successfully connected their Bluetooth laptop to their Prius? If you have speech control/synthesis software on your PC, you could "listen" to your email on your long commute!

I realize the Prius has the Hands-Free Profile support....my laptop supports Headset (not compatible) and Audio Gateway (believe is lower level and should support) - but Prius discovery mode never completes despite the PC actually listed as "paired" with the Prius. In the other direction, the PC never finds any "discoverable services" on the Prius.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:d3ba8b5ac5]I tried off-and-on for a week and finally gave up trying to get my Mac PowerBook to talk to my Silver Cloud. You'd think a silver PowerBook would want to talk to a silver Prius...[/font:d3ba8b5ac5]

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I tried the same with my VAIO too, and it's the same handsfree vs headset issue. I gave it a good hour once between the VAIO and the Sony Ericsson phone. Everything pairs, but the Prius won't offer usable services to the laptop software.

The Prius's bluetooth setup is just too primitive, or limited, to talk to laptops in my conclusion.

4. xevious

xevious New Member

The problem is that the hands-free profile just isn't supported anymore. Microsoft finally added native Bluetooth support to Windows XP, and nearly every profile is supported except - you guessed it - hands-free.

The Prius should support headset, ObEx (which would allow us to easily synchronize phone numbers and contacts), and serial port profile (direct access to GPS information!).

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Even if the laptop did pair, the sound would only come from the driver lower speaker, which is the only one the NAV/Bluetooth uses.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you have speech on your laptop, why not listen to the laptop?