1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Connecticut Dealers

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by frogpond1, Aug 13, 2009.

1. frogpond1

frogpond1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok or maybe a neighboring state but it seems the dealers around here "add" in accessories and up the price just because. Anyone know of a somewhat honest dealer?

2. Snowbell

Snowbell That's the cat! Snow...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is what I think happens - The reason the dealers "add" in accessories is because they don't always have full control of what they can order, they can only request and hope they get allocated a car with the options or accessories they ask for. So often times they get a car with some, all, or more of what you want, and now their job is to try and sell you that car.

I checked out at least 1/2 dozen dealerships in the NY/CT area and found dealing with them to be a nightmare. Everyone wanted to sell me something different from what I really wanted and everyone was asking MSRP. I ended up purchasing from Toyota North in Mt. Kisco because that is where I want to service the car (it's the most convenient location for me). Luckily my estimated wait of 8-10 weeks has shrunk to 5-6 weeks and the dealership tells me that they have been allocated a car with exactly what I want.

Car sales have been really off this year, so the it seems the push is to sell you whatever is available at any one time. If you don't mind waiting, you can probably get a Prius with the options that you want.

Best of luck!

3. frogpond1

frogpond1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well not exactly. I understand MSRP is fairly standard at the moment but adding in mats, wheel locks, bumper trim, etc. is ALL dealer installed NOT factory. Although they love to tell you this so pay double for the accessories compared to what you can get them for on here.

4. Snowbell

Snowbell That's the cat! Snow...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :) Here's my current understanding...

Many of the accessories you add on your new 2010 Prius are installed at the port when the car arrives in the U.S., and then it gets transported to the dealer. So the dealer would only add or install those access. that were not port installed. Either way, the buyer is paying for the installation (or... handling).

(I seems that right now, vehicles are arriving at the dealerships with things like; lighted door sills, additional security system, first aid kits, etc.). The dealer doesn't necessarily ask for those things, but that's what comes in when he gets is allocation of cars from the Toyota mothership. LOL

When my salesman called the other day, he said that he now had a VIN# for my car and that it would be arriving with everything I asked for, So that sounded pretty encouraging. Like many others, I am also paying MSRP ... plus the cost of a few accessories (all-weather mats, cargo organizer, cargo net; which is waiting for a Toyota fix). For other goodies I will be looking elsewhere, though.