1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

connecting invertor to 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seanbcullen, Dec 14, 2011.

1. seanbcullen

seanbcullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm new to this so please forgive my naivety. I bought a 1200 watt 12V DC to 110V AC invertor. I want to connect it to my 12V battery. It looks straight-forward, but I need to remove disconnect the 12V in order to attach the cables to the invertor, then reconnect them. I will therefore lose 12V power for a minute or two while I make the invertor connections. Is this going to cause me any problems?

My intended use is as a backup generator when the power goes out, and I just want to test it.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Sean

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The main consequences of a 12V disconnect are losing stereo presets, current mpg, and the driver's side power window needs to be reset -- roll down halfway, then roll up and hold for a couple seconds. You could use a maintainer of some time on the front jump point while you do this, like another 12V battery, as if you were trying to jump-start the car.

2 people like this.
  3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A minor suggestion: I got an Anderson Powerpole connector and wired one side to the battery, the other to my inverter. I cut a hole in the trunk liner for the plug to go through and now I can plug the inverter in and out without tools or fuss.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wouldn't make a permanent connection to the 12V battery without first knowing (or testing) the standby drain current of the inverter.

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A pluggable connection will take that right down to zero.