1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Connecting IPOD to stereo or cd player 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tloeber, Mar 25, 2006.

1. tloeber

tloeber New Member

I purchased a used 2002 Prius about 2 months ago and am having some difficulty finding eqiupment to connect my IPOD to the stereo or cd player. I went to a local car stereo store and they ordered something they thought would work for over $300 but when I took it to them this morning and their tech began to it install they said it would not work. They offered to do some more research but I figured I needed to do my own. I tried checking this site and there are a lot of discussions about connecting an IPOD but much of what I came across seemed to be for newer Prius'.

I also checked out Coastal Electronics Technologies site where they advertise a 'Radio Auxiliary Input' for older Prius' like mine for $110 which is much more reasonable than what I was expecting to pay. Has anyone actually installed this unit and if so could they share that experience and opinion of the product? I'm not sure if there are other products that could work too but am curious if there are more options.

I did some digging into Denison's ICELINK which does not seem to be compatible. Same goes for the IPOD2CAR.

In my last vehicle I used an inexpensive FM Transmitter (ITRIP) which worked well enough; however, in the Prius it is extremely unreliable despite several stations I used in the past with success.

I would like to be able to connect to the stereo or cd player (single cd that is OEM) as I am concerned with sound quality.

Please, if anyone could offer any insights I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. MathisTX02

MathisTX02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I'm guessing you've moved on since 2006, but *I* am interested. My VERY expensive 2002 6-CD changer bombed out after a couple of years and I didn't want to pay for $300 to get the dealer to send it to CA and inherit somebody else's undiagnosed problems with whatever unit was returned. I'm not naive enough to expect they would send my original unit back, of course.

I would rather have some AUX input with a 3.5mm jack than to have the 6-CD changer, anyway. MP3 player is the way to go now. Having to carry around CDs in a hot Texas car is not my idea of the way to go. I like podcasts, anyway. Back then I burned CD-ROMs of "Fresh Air" interview show to listen to on the road. Still a favorite.

Anybody out there care to chime in and help me?:)

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Holy thread resurrection. Does your 02 have a tape deck? If so, I'd suggest a cassette adapter. I used to use them when I had (and drove) cars w/tape decks and much preferred them to FM transmitters.