1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Connector with one wire and one blank terminal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The one wire connector is normal. That part is the "radio setting condenser". I don't understand its purpose.

1 person likes this.
  3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Condenser is an archaic term for a capacitor. I believe that the purpose for the part is to act as a noise filter to filter out RF frequency noise from the ignition system.

It is called a Noise Filter (N1) on the wiring diagram and shows the schematic symbol for a capacitor.

Capacitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2 people like this.
  4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Adding to this trip down memory lane, the old term "condenser" has a long association with radios, which is probably why radio manufactures are the only ones still using that term in relation to electronics.

Tom

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I found it on page 124 of the 2006 EWD, it is filtering the switched terminal of IG2 which provides power to the four spark igniters.

Since the wiring lengths are so long, I would not think this would be particularly effective as an RF noise suppressor.

(I recognize the term "condenser" BTW, having learned electronics in the 60s as a child, when dirt was young and vacuum tubes were still in daily use.)

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

In the Wikipedia link that I posted above, it says that the capacitor is usually used with a series resistor to dissipate energy. They might be using the length of wire as part of the resistor.

Slightly OT: I remember doing tune-ups on my Ford Courier with breaker points. They always included a replacement condenser with the tune up kit, which I dutifully replaced. It seems like an awful waste, even a crappy capacitor probably would last the lifetime of the vehicle.