1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Conrad Black wants to be a Canadian again

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

Story:

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/061012/b101292.html

This guy gave up Canadian citizehship in order to become a British Lord. Not that he faces criminal charges in the US, he wants to be Canadian again. (Canadian jails are better than US jails). He has reapplied for Canadian citizenship. Should the government admit him?

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 17 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]333923[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it's a question of whether or not the government *should* admit him, but rather how much wealth and influence he can correctly direct to achieve his desired outcome.

Now, if you want to discuss the philosophical/moral matter, that's another area of discussion...

:ph34r:

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

Good point. All his money could not influence the Canadian Prime Minister at that time, Jean Chretien to allow Black to accept a peerage from the British. This is very much to Chretien's credit. (The new PM is a different story. )

Black gave up Canadian citizenship for opportunistic motives, and now he wants it back to save his skin. Maybe a large "campaign contribution" to the convervative party will do the trick. I think that if he is found guilty of all the fraud charges in the US, he should do his time here, right along with Ken Lay.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 17 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]333923[/snapback]</div>
    There's actually quite a deal of variation in U.S. jails. Jails in the south have a reputation for being pretty dreadful. Some northern big-city jails are also nasty, due in part to severe overcrowding. However, the jails in Grand Forks, ND, as well as Ashland, WI are quite decent, and the jail in Yankton, SD is not bad. Hillsboro, ND, is extremely run-down, but very lax (if you want to get out for a while, just offer to wash the jailer's car) which makes it tolerable.

If by "jail" you meant prison, a similar range of conditions exists. Again, the south has a reputation for being the worst, northern states generally being better, and at least some of the federal prisons are not too bad. Yankton, when I was there, was pretty cushy. El Reno was grossly overcrowded, but otherwise pretty tolerable. And Sandstone was downright decent, if you don't get stuck sleeping near a snorer (barracks-type living arrangement, with cells only in administrative detention and disciplinary segregation).

My personal experience is limited to the specific cities mentioned above.

In conclusion, I don't think any comparison of U.S. and Canadian jails and/or prisons is valid unless it compares specific locations.

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

I must bow to your personal experience. Do they have internet access in jail? (Just in case)

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Canada wasn't good enough for him when he wanted to be a Lord so badly. His effusive praise rings pretty hollow now. I vote no.

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 17 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]334091[/snapback]</div>
    Make that 2 no votes. I'm sure "kenny boy" needs some company.

8. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 17 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]334098[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, Kenny boy bought the farm....

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/news/newsmakers/lay_death/

...I THOUGHT you were well-informed....

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 17 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]334130[/snapback]</div>

I forget about that! Talk about flogging a dead horse! Does this mean Conrad Black will get his own cell?

10. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 17 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]334133[/snapback]</div>
    ...that's ok, as V.I.N.C.E.N.T. once said, "A pint cannot hold a quart Mr. Pizer...."

[​IMG]

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 17 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]334069[/snapback]</div>
    None of the jails or prisons I was in offered internet access to prisoners. I think they are concerned we might operate crime rings from the inside. :D

However, this was in 1989 or '90 to around '93. The internet was not as ubiquitous then as it is now. But I'm sure internet access is not common in jail, so if you plan on getting arrested, don't count on being able to get your daily fix of PriusChat.

Other countries may have different rules. Supposedly you can get anything you want in a Mexican jail, if you have the money to pay for it. I have no personal knowledge on this. I would not want to experience the inside of a Mexican jail.

12. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 17 2006, 06:13 PM) [snapback]334202[/snapback]</div>

Who's talking about PriusChat? I would want to access my numbered Cayman Island accounts. :)